Using the AX8 can I control the AMP 'drive' with a pedal or switch?

Gene

Inspired
Hi, I am building a patch here around the Band Commander and 2x15 doubleshow cab.

Is it possible to control the Amp block 'drive' parameter with a switch on the AX8, and external switch 1-4 on rear of unit or a CC on an expression pedal?
I do not see a control link icon for the parameter in AX8 edit.

I know I can do this using scenes but just curious.

I will post these patches later when I test them for those who would like a Chuck Berry type patch which will be useful for many many things. Hendrix used a Fender Showman I think to record Electric Ladyland I believe. The showman was more powerful with more headroom. Do not think there is an AXE FX model of it yet.
Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Hi, I am building a patch here around the Band Commander and 2x15 doubleshow cab.

Is it possible to control the Amp block 'drive' parameter with a switch on the AX8, and external switch 1-4 on rear of unit or a CC on an expression pedal?
I do not see a control link icon for the parameter in AX8 edit.

I know I can do this using scenes but just curious.

I will post these patches later when I test them for those who would like a Chuck Berry type patch which will be useful for many many things. Hendrix used a Fender Showman I think to record Electric Ladyland I believe.
Thanks all :)

I'm not any technical expert, but I assign an expressional pedal to 'input drive' typically on my amp in all of my programs and I love controlling drive that way. Mine is under expr2 and I set the minimum and maximum and slope.

Good luck

Eric

I'm not any technical expert, but I assign an expressional pedal to 'input drive' typically on my amp in all of my programs and I love controlling drive that way. Mine is under expr2 and I set the minimum and maximum and slope.

Good luck

Eric
Hi, is that on an AXE FX 2 XL or AX8?

Yes.

• RIght click on the Input Drive
• For Source, select Control Switch 1
• Set your desired Min and Max values
• Set Damping if you want it to slowly ramp to the new value
• Close that window

Now set one of your Footswitches to Control Switch 1.

The great thing is that if you want more than one parameter to change at the same time, you can assign them to the same Control Switch, even if it's in an entirely different block. For example, I have a CS that controls amp drive, but at the same time I have it control the gain parameters for a filter block that act as a PEQ when the amp is gained up.

Another advantage of Control Switches is that they are completely seamless because they aren't changing the Preset, Amp X/Y or Scene... no audio gap AAAAAND they can smoothly "morph" between two sets of parameters.

Yes.

• Close that window

The great thing is that if you want more than one parameter to change at the same time, you can assign them to the same Control Switch, even if it's in an entirely different block. For example, I have a CS that controls amp drive, but at the same time I have it control the gain parameters for a filter block that act as a PEQ when the amp is gained up.

Another advantage of Control Switches is that they are completely seamless because they aren't changing the Preset, Amp X/Y or Scene... no audio gap AAAAAND they can smoothly "morph" between two sets of parameters.

Thanks for posting this and I'm glad the OP posted the question, as I've been curious about the same thing.

Do you do anything to offset / even out any increase in perceived volume increase as the gain increases? Is there then an inverse setting you might use so as any volume may go up with input gain, you offset that with a decrease in amp level or any similar level?

Thanks again...

Do you do anything to offset / even out any increase in perceived volume increase as the gain increases? Is there then an inverse setting you might use so as any volume may go up with input gain, you offset that with a decrease in amp level or any similar level?
You can tie the same controller to the Amp block's Master Volume or Level control and compensate as much or as little as you want.

You can tie the same controller to the Amp block's Master Volume or Level control and compensate as much or as little as you want.

Anddd you can tie the same controller to EQ as well, as eq changes as we lower and increase gain. Fun stuff. Eric

Thanks for posting this and I'm glad the OP posted the question, as I've been curious about the same thing.

Thanks again...
All of the above responses are correct. The nice thing about a Filter block, is that you can apply +/- gain changes to specific frequencies, and use the Filter block as a Volume control at the same time... all controlled by the same Control Switch you assigned to the Input Drive in the AMP block.

VERY flexible.

Also note that as discussed in a recent thread (and older ones) that linking a modifier to drive can incur a large CPU hit on some amps.

Curious. Input Trim changes gain without affecting EQ. You must also be tied to another parameter.

Nope perhaps it’s vernacular though. When you thin out a signal by reducing the trim or the gain depending on which amp you’re using, sometimes I like to compensate for that with an eq adjustment. 95% of the time though on my programs I don’t even need to use graphic or parametric EQ other than the basic TMBP etc in the amp block. I guess it’s similar to using a 12ay7, 12au7, 5751, or 12at7 in place of a 12ax7 in some of my real amps. It typically changes gain, feel, and tone, and in different shades for each tube change. Not just gain to me. Again no problem as I’m very used to that stuff and this is ez to adjust. Carry on

ps I have also found dropping the input trim a lot on some amps will have very different results than dropping it down a little. I don’t care why, or if it’s even the Fletcher Munson curve, as I’m a guitarist not an engineer. The AX8 has infinite ways to dial in what each of us wants for ourselves. Such a great versatile tool

Last edited:
You cannot tie a controller to the amp block level in AX8. Most people tie controllers to the cab block level instead.

Reactions: Rex
Yes.

• Close that window

Hi, thanks for that. It is very handy indeed and easy to do!
Great :)

Back
Top Bottom