Using spidf input(digital) for Roland VG99

Duncan

Hi all -

I read in the Roland forum that you can connect the VG99 to the Axe-FX (Mk II) using digital audio out For the VG99 to the digital in of the AF. I get the signal from the VG99 but not the AF. And suggestions? I have an Atomic mono powered speaker as the output. And many thanks! Duncan

Hi - thanks for the speedy response. I did indeed. Somehow it is bypassing the AF all together as the VG99 signal passes through the AF and to the Atomic powered cab.

so you changed your input from Analog inputs to SPDIF?

this means the axe-fx won't accept input from your guitar plugged into the axe-fx front or rear analog inputs.

please describe more what you're expecting to hear or how you have things plugged in. it's very vague right now and we have to guess a lot of things.

Chris, I think he's wanting to go from the VG99 digitally into the Axe Fx, bypassing the input as well as the A/D converter in the Axe Fx.

Duncan, make sure SPDIF/AES source in I/O is set to Output 1 or Output 2 (whichever you want). It sounds like it's set to input, which bypasses the Axe Fx processing.

Odd as I get a new window saying NO INPUT CLOCK when Main Input Source in I/O is set to SPIDF/ AES. outputs are set to L + R SUM.

Thanks again!

I was worried about this... Sample rate for the VG99 is 44.1k, Axe Fx is 48k. Neither are adjustable, so the two will not sync up to each other. Looks like you're stuck using the analog out of the VG99 to go into the Axe Fx. You could get a sample rate converter, but I doubt it's worth the hassle.

Digging up an old thread...

Let's just say you decide to employ a cheap coaxial input (stereo? must be - right) to stereo out 'sample rate converter box' like you see on amazon or ebay...Your digital out from VG-99 goes into the converter, out from the dual RCAs (L/R). But then how do you get the RCAs to merge again to go into the axe's digital in? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Apologies if this is a dumb question...I have no experience with these kinds of cables. I'm sure I've read Cliff say that you can use any old RCA cables from one device to another so I now assume you must be able to merge the RCA jacks into a single plug and connect directly to the SPDIF port on the Axe-FX from the SRC box outs.

I'm currently connected from VG to Axe-FX II via analog connections which is fine but I would like to try the SPDIF to free up some I/O. Hope somebody might be able to explain how this might work. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom