Using relays with T/S only connection?

tjontheroad

Inspired
I probably already know the answer here, but why not ask anyway? ;)

My Mesa TA-30 has both a channel switch jack and a reverb bypass jack. I'm running the channel switching via relay 1 and all is good there with a T/R/S cable. I'm looking also to use relay 2 to switch on/off the reverb bypass. The TA-30 reverb jack normally excepts a T/S cable.

So my question is, is better to use a T/S cable or a T/R/S cable for the reverb bypass when hooked up to my FX8? My guess is it doesn't matter but the T/R/S might be preferred to match up with relay settings on the FX8. Does that seem correct?

Thanks,
TJ

Each relay jack on the FX8 has two relay connections: Tip-to-Sleeve, and Ring-to-Sleeve. If you use an insert cable you can translate that to 2 Tip-to-Sleeve connections using a cable like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPBQ2Q20

I'm not advocating for a particular retail vendor or cable maker. I am simply providing the link to remove any confusion.

This cable will allow you to use a single Relay Block/Scene Relay to control both bypass jacks on your amp. Now I have to be clear, please ensure that your amp uses Short-to-Sleeve with your bypass jacks to prevent damage to your amp, the FX8, or both.

Each relay jack on the FX8 has two relay connections: Tip-to-Sleeve, and Ring-to-Sleeve. If you use an insert cable you can translate that to 2 Tip-to-Sleeve connections using a cable like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPBQ2Q20

I'm not advocating for a particular retail vendor or cable maker. I am simply providing the link to remove any confusion.

This cable will allow you to use a single Relay Block/Scene Relay to control both bypass jacks on your amp. Now I have to be clear, please ensure that your amp uses Short-to-Sleeve with your bypass jacks to prevent damage to your amp, the FX8, or both.

Thanks for your prompt reply. The cable adapter in the SW link isn't entirely what I'm after however.

To be clear, I would wish/need to run two separate cables to/from FX8 and the TA-30. One cable from FX8 relay 1 to the TA-30 footswitch jack for channel switching. It also controls the FX loop and reverb jointly (more on this below). That one needs to be a T/R/S cable. The second cable would be from the FX8 relay 2 to the reverb bypass jack. The reverb bypass jack on the TA-30 normally excepts a T/S cable. This because it only has 2 states of operation (on/off) as apposed to the TA-30 footswitch jack that has 3 states of operation (FX loop and reverb jointly, channel 1, channel 2).

I've linked the TA-30 manual below for reference. Page 9 explains the separate reverb only bypass function. Note again, the TA-30 channel footswitch jack can also bypass both the FX loop and reverb (together) as well select the channels. This can all be controlled from via the FX8 relay 1 by itself (FX loop and reverb together, channel 1, channel 2). My goal is to isolate the reverb bypass switching using relay 2.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/TA30_121023.pdf

Thanks much for you help :)

P.S. I confirmed the TA-30 short-to-sleeve operation.

Back
Top Bottom