Using Presets and 1024 IR's

ny10547

Hi All:
Just a simple question.....some of the presets that I look at on the axechange show that they have/need specific 1024 IR's. I was wondering if I load that preset up does it come with the IR's already attached (ie...it will shove the IR's into the designated user slots on the cab section that the preset is looking at) or do I have to load the IR's myself to the user location and then make sure the cabinet L and R are pointed to the correct user slots that I have loaded the IR's to?
It looks to me like some presets I have to load the correct IR's but some presets might be doing that for me.
I would hate to custom load my User Cabinet slots and then have them over written by a preset.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Scott

The presets will not overwrite your current user cabs. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there is currently no way to include user cabs (or Global Amp configurations) into preset files.

Thanks for the response. I was actually hoping it was that way. It would be too confusing with the Cabinet User locations not having names in them. I hope that gets changed some time soon.
Scott

ny10547 said:
Just a simple question.....some of the presets that I look at on the axechange show that they have/need specific 1024 IR's. I was wondering if I load that preset up does it come with the IR's already attached
No.

It looks to me like some presets I have to load the correct IR's but some presets might be doing that for me.
No. Presets and user IRs are different. You have to upload them in separate operations.

ny10547 said:
I hope that gets changed some time soon.
It won't. Available RAM has been allocated for other purposes. The original Axe-Fx didn't offer the option of User IRs. Simply making them available was a major advance. Not being able to name them is really a trivial inconvenience.

Jay Mitchell said:
ny10547 said:
I hope that gets changed some time soon.
It won't. Available RAM has been allocated for other purposes. The original Axe-Fx didn't offer the option of User IRs. Simply making them available was a major advance. Not being able to name them is really a trivial inconvenience.

Inconvenient: Yes.
Trivial: Depends on the user.
Personally I dont consider it a trivial inconvenience. ;)

m lebofsky said:
Personally I dont consider it a trivial inconvenience.
How much does it affect your use of the Axe-Fx once you've tweaked a preset? Is it something that you'll ever have to change in real time? For me, it's not. Any inconvenience in tweaking is more than made up for by the fact that Cliff found a way to even make this feature available. It did not appear until firmware Rev. 40.

If named IRs are that important to you, there's always the option to use the factory ones.

Jay Mitchell said:
[quote="m lebofsky":29o7axqm]Personally I dont consider it a trivial inconvenience.
How much does it affect your use of the Axe-Fx once you've tweaked a preset? Is it something that you'll ever have to change in real time? For me, it's not. Any inconvenience in tweaking is more than made up for by the fact that Cliff found a way to even make this feature available. It did not appear until firmware Rev. 40.

If named IRs are that important to you, there's always the option to use the factory ones.[/quote:29o7axqm]

I never mentioned changing user cabs on the fly.
Lets agree to disagree so this thread doesn't go in the wrong direction.

PS - I am grateful for the Axe, its features, its creator, this forum, most of your [Jay's] input, and the fact that chicks still dig guitar players !!

One method I've implemented for myself to remember locations and names of IR's...I made lables with (you guessed it) a label maker and stuck them to the rack edge.
it tells me location and 1x12, 2x12, etc. I am using all 1024's, so I only have 5 little reminders.
Works well for me.

I am using a 5x8 card laminated so I can use one of the alcohol erasable pens. That way it looks neat and is very changeable.
I am just starting to experiment with switching in and out the various 512/1024 cabs to see the difference. Just one more thing to tweak. :)
One more question though...I went to the Clawfinger site and found the 50 or so IR's from Marshall to Line6 to Engl. Are all these cabs I can plug in? If so, are there ones that are better than others? I really don't need THAT many to mess around with. I would like to pick the best and plug and play.
Scott

ny10547 said:
One more question though...I went to the Clawfinger site and found the 50 or so IR's from Marshall to Line6 to Engl. Are all these cabs I can plug in? If so, are there ones that are better than others?
As with physical speakers, "better" in the case of cab IRs is so subjective as to be irrelevant. My personal goal in acquiring, processing, and using cab IRs has been authenticity. IOW, if I like the sound of a physical transducer/cab for guitar, I should expect to like the IR that I acquire from it. Because I've been successful in that effort, and because I can only have five 1024-point user IRs, I only use IRs that I've acquired and processed myself. Even with that limitation, there are still many variables I have to optimize before I'm happy with the sound of a given IR.

I really don't need THAT many to mess around with. I would like to pick the best and plug and play.
If only it were that easy. You won't be able to tell which ones are best until you've lived with them for awhile and tweaked your amp sim settings to go with the IRs. For that reason, it can't ever really be a "plug and play" process.

Hi Jay;
Thanks for the response. I feel like I am talking to the turtle in Kung Fu Panda with your response. :lol:
I have all of your IR's and I guess I will just have to trudge my way through them and see what I think. There are so many variables that effect the Axe's presets that I was hoping to nail down the IR's and then go after the other items in the presets. I think I will try it that way anyways and plug in say your IR's and then go about adjusting the different settings and see where that leads me. So many pathways....so little time. :)
I am slowly getting places on the Axe. It sure does take time and patience. This thing takes quite a different approach than a lot of other modelers that is for sure. I have at least two or three patches though that to me sound great and show me that the unit is worth all the time and effort.
Again my thanks for your help.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom