Using preamp from fractal and power amp from tube head

Herrera38

How can I use an amp model from the fractal to create a clean channel on my tube amp.

I'm running a tube amp and want to use that as my rhythm sound. I have the 4 cable method set up. Trying to figure out how to place a Fractal clean amp model in the chain where it will bypass my amps preamp section and only use the power amp section to create a pseudo clean channel.

You can either turn off Amp modeling globally or set Supply Sag to 0 in the amp block to disable the Axe Fx power amp.

However, I think that you can't bypass your amps preamp in 4CM.

I’m not really a routing expert but I’ve done this before with single channel amps that have an FX loop.

Wire it all up normal 4cm, guitar > axe input > axe output 2 (FX send) > amp input > amp FX send > axe input 2 (FX return) > axe output 1 > amp FX return.

Set the patch up to be amp block > FX loop.

Scene 1 bypass amp block (make sure it’s set to bypass thru), enable FX loop block, now signal goes through the full chain and you have axe FX in front of amp preamp and also in FX loop. Pre-effects go before FX loop block, post-effects go after FX loop block.

Scene 2 enable amp block, bypass FX loop block (make sure it’s set to bypass thru) - now signal is routed axe input > amp block > output 1 (which is connected to amp FX return, thus bypassing the amps preamp).

Hopefully I remembered that right, I haven’t done it in a while and don’t have a patch handy to double-check.

Some people get noise doing this but I’ve had good luck with the amps I’ve done it with.

I think the output 1 and output 2 level controls on the front panel need to be all the way up for unity gain.

How can I use an amp model from the fractal to create a clean channel on my tube amp.

I'm running a tube amp and want to use that as my rhythm sound. I have the 4 cable method set up. Trying to figure out how to place a Fractal clean amp model in the chain where it will bypass my amps preamp section and only use the power amp section to create a pseudo clean channel.
I do the same with my Victory V40D - doesn’t have high gain so I use the FM3 preamps and it works amazingly! Watch Leon’s video here where he shows how to create the presets.

I’m not really a routing expert but I’ve done this before with single channel amps that have an FX loop.

Wire it all up normal 4cm, guitar > axe input > axe output 2 (FX send) > amp input > amp FX send > axe input 2 (FX return) > axe output 1 > amp FX return.

Set the patch up to be amp block > FX loop.

Scene 1 bypass amp block (make sure it’s set to bypass thru), enable FX loop block, now signal goes through the full chain and you have axe FX in front of amp preamp and also in FX loop. Pre-effects go before FX loop block, post-effects go after FX loop block.

Scene 2 enable amp block, bypass FX loop block (make sure it’s set to bypass thru) - now signal is routed axe input > amp block > output 1 (which is connected to amp FX return, thus bypassing the amps preamp).

Hopefully I remembered that right, I haven’t done it in a while and don’t have a patch handy to double-check.

Some people get noise doing this but I’ve had good luck with the amps I’ve done it with.

I think the output 1 and output 2 level controls on the front panel need to be all the way up for unity gain.
Is there any way you could set this preset up in Axe Edit and share it or take a screen shot? I'm having issues as well. I've scoured the manual and forums on the subject.
My example would be the following scenario:
Scene one is using real amps preamp, scene 2 would be an Axe Fx Amp
Scene 1 pre fx/ REAL Amp/ post fx
Scene 2 pre fx /Fractal Amp/post fx
I'm just not sure in scene 2 where Fractal amp block would go and which INs or OUTs to mute or bypass.
Thanks

Here's how I run my Boogie MK4 with 4CM. I use the AFX's USA Clean so I can optimize the amp's R2 settings and switch out the model with the FX loop for the MK4's preamp based upon scenes. Output goes into the MK4's FX return. I've been experimenting with the PA modelling on the Clean Model both on and off.

Boogie 4CM.JPG

Back
Top Bottom