Using Pitch / Virtual Capo to practice with music

giantslayer

Experienced
Context: I play at church and very seldom do we do songs in their original recorded key. I've recently started using the Pitch function to change the audio coming into the Axe FX so I can practice along in the key we are going to play in.

My question: what would be the best settings to use on the pitch block? I've messed around a bit and landed on Virtual Capo, Pitch Tracking Off, Tracking 5.00, Mix 100%. There is definitely room for it to sound better / less bad.

I use Reaper. Elastique Pro (which comes with it) is the best pitch/time software value I can think of. Anything I've heard that's better is expensive.

So you're using the pitch block in Axe to change the key of the track?

That's bold. Cool that it works.

I've used 'Transcribe' and it's fantastic for this, but ultimately Audacity does all that I need for learning songs (changing pitch, tempo etc)

For this I just use Audacity to change the key if needed. It doesn't always sound great but that is about the best you can do. With drastic key changes either you are playing to a chipmunk singing or a really low sounding creepy serial killer voice. Our Church uses planning center and they will put in the original and modified keys. The modded keys usually sound crappy so I think that is normal.

For this I just use Audacity to change the key if needed. It doesn't always sound great but that is about the best you can do. With drastic key changes either you are playing to a chipmunk singing or a really low sounding creepy serial killer voice. Our Church uses planning center and they will put in the original and modified keys. The modded keys usually sound crappy so I think that is normal.
Most of the time, my church just puts youtube or spotify links so you can't transpose those in PCO. The times I've used it, it didn't sound all that good either.

Yes, transposing up sounds like chipmunk singing. On the low end, I'll admit I don't know a lot of serial killers, but I assumed they sounded like normal people? I always thought a voice transposed down a 5th in PCO sounded like a monster, a sad monster from a horrible lab experiment that wants to be put out of its misery.

I'll admit it's a lot of laziness, convenience, and not wanting to add another time consuming process to my weekly practice.
You could just use the Virtual Capo to tune your guitar to the recording. When you played it live, it would be in a different key, but you wouldn't have to change anything you're physically playing and pitch-shifting the guitar in real time will sound a lot better than trying to pitch shift a recorded, mastered stereo track in real time. The Virtual Capo isn't designed for a stereo signal, so you're probably not gonna be crazy about the results any way you slice it.

Back
Top Bottom