Using Phaser to fatten up lead tone?

warrenlu

example of what I'm talking about is @ 2:49-3:30 here:

I took some lessons with the guy about a year ago, and he told me that was one of his little tone tricks: he throws on a microscopic tinge of phaser just to fatten up the sound.

so, after hearing this, I (general effects noob + AXEFX noob) went and pulled up a phaser model, saw all the different settings and values, and nope'd out. lol

so I figured I'd ask here: based off what you hear there, does anything stick out at you that I could try? specific phaser models, settings, where to place it in the chain, etc.

I've got no phaser-specific tips, but one thing to try would be to place it before the amp rather than after, to make the effect more subtle / give it a different flavor. I've tried the same with a chorus for leads and it's a cool option to mess with

Try ignoring the apparent complexity, and just using a Phaser as you would a stomp box. The only knob you get to turn on the classic ones is "rate". So, for that tone I'd make a start with an MXR Phase 90 (Script and Block logo versions both available, try both, they are subtly different) ahead of the amp block, but after any drive blocks, and set the rate a little lower than default, maybe around 10 or 11 O'Clock. If it's sounding too thick even with the Script version, try a Phase 45, which is much subtler. Listened to the part you shared, and that's where I'd be starting.

Liam

I've got no phaser-specific tips, but one thing to try would be to place it before the amp rather than after, to make the effect more subtle / give it a different flavor. I've tried the same with a chorus for leads and it's a cool option to mess with

yeah it never even occurred to me to try that lol. thanks!

Try ignoring the apparent complexity, and just using a Phaser as you would a stomp box. The only knob you get to turn on the classic ones is "rate". So, for that tone I'd make a start with an MXR Phase 90 (Script and Block logo versions both available, try both, they are subtly different) ahead of the amp block, but after any drive blocks, and set the rate a little lower than default, maybe around 10 or 11 O'Clock. If it's sounding too thick even with the Script version, try a Phase 45, which is much subtler. Listened to the part you shared, and that's where I'd be starting.

Liam

perfect. thanks!

Liam
perfect. thanks!

Adjust the mix setting to taste too - the lower it is the less of the effect you'll hear, and less is often more
This. The Mix parameter is what will let you dial it down to a "microscopic tinge."

Phaser can also be used for a cool type of pseudo physical modeling.

Put one after your cab, set DEPTH to 0 and adjust the Feedback, Manual, Frequencies, and Mix to create uniquely sculpted tones. It can go from acting like a gentle EQ to being totally sci-fi.

Back
Top Bottom