Using PEQ's after cab block for Front of House

Do you use a PEQ after Cab IR, before FOH?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
After getting the new mix OH IRs, I stopped lo/hi cutting. Feel like it sits better in the mix, especially in my IEM. I let the FOH guy mix and cut as necessary.

-PJ

It mostly depends on the venue for me. Often I just leave it to the sound guy, but I always take a walk around the venue when the entire band is playing, to listen for any critical fixes that the sound guy might not hear. Besides, it's another level of comfort knowing you have the ability to tweak any parameter on the fly. Some venues might have an old analog mixer, with a standard 3-band EQ. In some situations that might not cut it. So yeah, sometimes it's good to have an EQ of my own to tweak to taste.

I play through FR as well as through a conventional cab.
The latter being my preferred amplification at rehearsals and gigs, but I also use FR live.

My presets are used for both setups, no differentiation.

If I would adjust Amp block settings to deal with top end / low end when using FR, it would negatively impact the tone through the conventional cab. So I apply low-pass and high-pass somewhere else.

These days I use a PEQ at the end of the grid for this task.
Placed right before the Cab block. It also boosts the low mids for more body in the tone.
It's configured as a global block, so I can make changes across presets in one go.
Also, I can easily engage/bypass the PEQ in all presets at once, because its Bypass is attached to an external controller.

The PEQ is off when playing through FR at home, no need to cut highs and lows at low volume.
The PEQ is engaged when playing through FR at rehearsals and gigs.

Way do you place the peq before the cab block? I use ti place it at the very end of the chain...
Maybe i'm wrong!

Way do you place the peq before the cab block? I use ti place it at the very end of the chain...
Maybe i'm wrong!

Albion You're not Wrong at All !! It's only a matter of choice ... I think in a digital domain there is not difference between this two choices ... The result is the same . EQUALIZATION OVER EQUALIZATION OVER EQUALIZATION

I think the entire OP is about rehearsals and little gigs were the sound guys are You and your band mates .
When You're playing and nobody concerning about mixing and producing is in front of the mixer.
As said earlier by some forum friends there is not really need of equalizing the final result because is the sound engineer work ...
I have to say that playing in different FOH and PA systems requires different adjustments so reducing to talking about preferences for the frequencies is useless and inapplicable in many if not in every case IMHO

Cheers from Italy

Sent from my Heart

I play through FR as well as through a conventional cab.
The latter being my preferred amplification at rehearsals and gigs, but I also use FR live.

My presets are used for both setups, no differentiation.

If I would adjust Amp block settings to deal with top end / low end when using FR, it would negatively impact the tone through the conventional cab. So I apply low-pass and high-pass somewhere else.

These days I use a PEQ at the end of the grid for this task.
Placed right before the Cab block. It also boosts the low mids for more body in the tone.
It's configured as a global block, so I can make changes across presets in one go.
Also, I can easily engage/bypass the PEQ in all presets at once, because its Bypass is attached to an external controller.

The PEQ is off when playing through FR at home, no need to cut highs and lows at low volume.
The PEQ is engaged when playing through FR at rehearsals and gigs.

I've backed off using global blocks. It seems like that is an area that still has some nits.

This makes me want to go back to global blocks though :)

Reactions: yek
I think the entire OP is about rehearsals and little gigs were the sound guys are You and your band mates .
When You're playing and nobody concerning about mixing and producing is in front of the mixer.
As said earlier by some forum friends there is not really need of equalizing the final result because is the sound engineer work ...

I was actually referring to venues where there is a sound engineer. We never do our own sound in my group. There's always a house system. I've gotten a few compliments from sound guys but can't trust em all. BUT I could see where if you're doing your own sound this would be even more important to use a PEQ at the end so you don't have to mess with it.

Interesting replies. I really like the idea of doing the cutting in the cab block. Learning about sitting in the mix is a whole other skill I keep working on. I also realize I need to pick up some more IR's or make my own. Still using the factory cabs here...

I was actually referring to venues where there is a sound engineer. We never do our own sound in my group. There's always a house system. I've gotten a few compliments from sound guys but can't trust em all. BUT I could see where if you're doing your own sound this would be even more important to use a PEQ at the end so you don't have to mess with it.

Interesting replies. I really like the idea of doing the cutting in the cab block. Learning about sitting in the mix is a whole other skill I keep working on. I also realize I need to pick up some more IR's or make my own. Still using the factory cabs here...

Ok Keg8605 ,
Sorry if I've misunderstood your OP ;(

But trust or not trust , during the Gig isn't you on mixer so if the sound guy is square can't be transformed in a beautiful circle !!

Like You said I have picked some aftermarket Ir's , Mad Oak from Fas and Marshall 4x12 vintage / modern and 2x12 Bogner vintage from Ownhammer , You definitely have to do it ... The entire paradigm changed !! In better !!
In association with Cab Lab what a powerful sound palette we have right now !!

Sent from my Heart

Back
Top Bottom