Using PEQ's after cab block for Front of House

Do you use a PEQ after Cab IR, before FOH?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

Keg8605

Power User
I've been using PEQ's at the end of my signal since I've been going direct. Just was curious of how many people use this method. Sometimes I feel I'm limiting my tone and could just let the sound guy eq the Cab IR if he wants. I usually block out 100hz and below and something like mid 4000hz and above. Plus we use in ears so leaving this open may or may not be more pleasing to my in ear mix too...

So do you use PEQ after cab? Yes/NO

Yes.

I often add a mid boost after the cab, a few dB's at 750Hz give or take, to add some beef. I will use PEQ to remove "bite" or other offending frequencies at times. I use Scenes a lot and I like to take a clean rhythm amp / cab tone (Scene 1) and warm it up with a PEQ (Scene 2) for lead work. I also cut the really low frequencies in the amp or cab so I sit properly in the mix.

I run in-ears and my objective is to dial in a tone that sits properly in the mix. I assume that FOH will be reasonably flat like my in-ears, although I realize that's likely not the case. However, my feeling is that if I send a mix ready tone the sound man will have an easier time tweaking it for the house. The fellows who run our board are volunteers with minimal sound experience.

Terry.

I often use one at the end of my signal chain to smooth out any harsh high end or any "boom"

I have never tried this...... Just use Low cut in amp and , and cut the Cab to 100hz.
Curious to see how many other FOH' dudes use this and settings.
Cool thread.

Hmm maybe i'll have to experiment with the cab block cut settings. Save some CPU would be good too.

I just use the global eq.

I'm intrigued, why would one choose a PEQ after the cab block when the main global eq is there?

Just a question......probably highlights my lack of 'knowledge' of PEQ!!

Interesting thread this.....

I'm intrigued, why would one choose a PEQ after the cab block when the main global eq is there?

Interesting thread this.....

I'd imagine it'd be so that they can trigger the PEQ per preset/scene. If you just use the global EQ or whatever, your limited; your rhythm sound without PEQ and lead with it wouldn't be possible.

I'd imagine it'd be so that they can trigger the PEQ per preset/scene. If you just use the global EQ or whatever, your limited; your rhythm sound without PEQ and lead with it wouldn't be possible.

Exactly, per preset for different IR's amps/tones you want the hi/low peq blocking settings different.

I voted no.

I use the global eq during sound check only to make adjustments for the monitor system / foh / room. To be honest I rarely have to touch it. Mostly carving out lows if things sound too boomy. Or every blue moon adding low mids because I want more nads.

For what I do, I don't want to drive the techs nuts by having my overall eq change very much when I change presets.

I add low and high pass filters so I sit better in the mix and don't compete with the kick and bass or sound too brittle for the audience.

I've only used a PEQ after the cab block if I love the tone yet it needs a notch somewhere. I treat like I am in a DAW and notching to fit the mix or remove a frequency that is troublesome. Any tonal shaping with PEQ or GEQ I do between the amp and cab blocks.

I also prefer using the Amp Tone page, EQ page and Speaker page to dial it into the Cab block as close as possible, then I use cab blocks hi and low adjustment if needed, but generally have found this isn't needed.

Really, like I and others keep saying, you have to dial it in with your ears, not your eyes.

What I do is, load up a factory bank and go through it till I find one close to what I am looking for. remove all the effects leaving only the amp and cab blocks. Insert a looper block before the Amp block and record a phrase, and tweak it till it's where I want it. Save using any EQ blocks for tonal changes between scenes and fixing freq that get out of hand when turned up.

You can change the width of the EQ curve with a PEQ, making it very precise, very broad or anything in between.

Terry.

Neat, thought about starting a thread for LIVE SOUND presets.
I put a GEQ block at the end of each presets sound chain. This way I can tweak them for loud live sound, due to that darn fletcher-munn.

Global EQ is usually enough for my needs to adjust to the venues specifics and FM curve.
But I dial in my tones at gig volume, so most of the time, the cleans and distorted tones are already shaped to "match".

Yes. I use this trick, although with a reduced overall level (-2 dB I think) because I don't want my levels to change when I bypass it. Helps me cut through in live situations, but I don't always like it when playing by myself. I use this on all my presets, although I've got an IA switch assigned to it on my MFC in case it's a bit too much.

For solos/leads I use another PEQ which boosts frequencies around 1kHz. Also acts as a 4 dB overall level boost.

Low and high cutting I do in the cab block, 100 Hz and 6 kHz respectively.

I play through FR as well as through a conventional cab.
The latter being my preferred amplification at rehearsals and gigs, but I also use FR live.

My presets are used for both setups, no differentiation.

If I would adjust Amp block settings to deal with top end / low end when using FR, it would negatively impact the tone through the conventional cab. So I apply low-pass and high-pass somewhere else.

These days I use a PEQ at the end of the grid for this task.
Placed right before the Cab block. It also boosts the low mids for more body in the tone.
It's configured as a global block, so I can make changes across presets in one go.
Also, I can easily engage/bypass the PEQ in all presets at once, because its Bypass is attached to an external controller.

The PEQ is off when playing through FR at home, no need to cut highs and lows at low volume.
The PEQ is engaged when playing through FR at rehearsals and gigs.

Back
Top Bottom