Using one expression pedal for different fx without scenes

aircadet

Inspired
Hi
I'm trying to reduce weight & size of my floor board by using one expression for Wah & pitch shift. I'd like a button on the FC-12 dedicated to this & not rely on scenes. Anyone know the best way to do this?
Thanks

EDIT: BRAIN FART! You want to use a MUX! Not a MIX. Mixers are what we used back in the II days. Derp. :D

Updated screen shots below with a MUX.

Most straight foward way is to use a multiplexer (MUX) block with a switch set to pick the MUX block's channel. Then you run the wah and the whammy in parallel.

There are other ways. But this one is very straightforward to reason about.

Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 11.06.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 11.06.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 11.06.48 AM.png

Last edited:
@iaresee that's definitely a simpler way to do it if they're in the same place in the signal chain. I always put my pitch block first after the input and my wah after the amp which is why I suggested control switches.

@iaresee that's definitely a simpler way to do it if they're in the same place in the signal chain. I always put my pitch block first after the input and my wah after the amp which is why I suggested control switches.
The MUX block lets you use auto-engage on both the blocks as well. And it allows you to have both block bypassed if you want. One isn't always-active.

There's a way to make auto-engage for both work without the MUX but it's harder to reason about when you're working the preset. I'll save that one for the advanced class. ;)

Last edited:
Yes I want my pitch after the amp so it needs to be off when I use the Wah. I use the Wah with auto engage so a mux bloke after or maybe another channel without auto engage on the Wah may work. I'll experiment a bit & see what works best for me.
Thanks for the help both.

Yes I want my pitch after the amp so it needs to be off when I use the Wah. I use the Wah with auto engage so a mux bloke after or maybe another channel without auto engage on the Wah may work. I'll experiment a bit & see what works best for me.
Thanks for the help both.
You can use two MUX blocks and a control switch. Do you use auto-engage on your pitch block as well?

Could you do this for other FX
Like have a Dimension chorus
EVH flange on 1 switch w the multiplexer selecting A dimension
B Flanger ?

EDIT: BRAIN FART! You want to use a MUX! Not a MIX. Mixers are what we used back in the II days. Derp. :D

Updated screen shots below with a MUX.

Most straight foward way is to use a multiplexer (MUX) block with a switch set to pick the MUX block's channel. Then you run the wah and the whammy in parallel.

There are other ways. But this one is very straightforward to reason about.

Like this:

View attachment 55281

View attachment 55282

View attachment 55283

Might be my OCD but i think you spelled WHA incorrectly or your custom label :(

You can also assign modifiers to a specific channel only, so you don't necessarily have to use the MUX. This is handy if you want to control effects at various places in the chain, but only one at a time.

For example, I have channel D on most of my effects reserved for expression pedal control. I have to make sure I'm not using that channel in my regular scenes, and then set my switches up as follows:

tap - engage/bypass the effect on its current channel
hold - toggle the block to channel D, with smart bypass turned on

That way, when I go to engage an effect, I can make the decision to engage the controllable version of that effect without too much thought and tap dancing. The OP mentioned doing this without scenes, but I get back to my "default" channel just by switching back to the current scene. If you're not using scenes, you're probably not using all the channels anyway and could therefore get back to your default channel using a channel toggle with smart bypass on the tap function as well.

Back
Top Bottom