Using old presets with updated FW?

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all,
Whats the deal with using older presets from the axechange with newer version of firmware?
i want to see what they sound like, wondering if they will work at all, or just need tweaking but will be roughly right?

some from FW10, some from FW19 but im now on Q3

cheers
Joe

some of my older presets, that i made a year ago and haven't even opened again til the other day, (because I was looking for a preset I made for a specific song my band does that took me like 4 hours to make and suddenly it disappeared, i needed a custom pitch shift, going into the multidelay with such specific settings, i almost lost my mind - But I found it finally under some other name.. phew) - the amp settings were all over the place, bass was at 0, mid was at 100, treble was like 3 o'clock.. (usually have everything just a little lower or higher than 12oclock, with my guitars, the small handful of amps I use always sound good right away, but think it was a div/13 cj) amp was turned up super loud, clipping, like i had to go from 37 to 12 or something.. that was prob like FW 18. but I just moved those couple knobs back where they sounded good, and it sounded like I believe I remembered it sounding, only a little better.. cab and every other block seemed unphased by this.

I recently (2-3 weeks ago?) finally went and updated presets from Quantum 1 to the latest from Fractals web site ... replaced everything that was "factory".

At first I was bummed as all of them had this dull, flat uninspiring sound - I was about to revert but I had faith in the FW (3.03) so instead I've spent the time picking patches and tuning them to my guitars. It's been a ton of fun, have learned more about the AXE FX, figuring out how to get that clarity back.

Some of my favorites I can't quite get back (like Buttery) but others like Euro Blue (modern and vintage) Carol Ann OD2 is still great; others like Leeds Blankenship and USA C+ and are super now! So, it just make take some time and exploring.

Honestly, it's simply EQ (BMT and GEQ in the amp block along with some advance params like Character, XFormer drive, etc.) and while I was in there, was doing some cool experimenting with exp. pedal modifiers along with scene controllers. (I was also updating some of Fremen's presets I bought for $35 - what a great deal - so much to learn from in there just by looking and playing.) Even started utilizing ducking for reverb and delays.

Like anything, it's a bit of journey but isn't life so? And, I learned a ton because I was forced to go get the sound back to where I wanted it. BTW - it may well have sounded great with FRFR out of the box, but I don't use it that way (real cabs in stereo) so I can't comment from that perspective.

Back
Top Bottom