Using my Axe-Fx 2 on The Voice Australia

Yes, that's interesting. Ping-Pong starts at the Left side. You see in the Mixer that it's hard-panned to the right (3rd row). So indeed you'd actually hear the second repeat, not the first one. Unless Michael has the outputs of the device reversed. ;)
Yes as you mentioned Yek Im only after the 2nd repeat.The reason for the ping pong is it gives a softer tonality for this patch.On my gain patches I use the stereo BBD it has more punch.FYI I pull tones for each song and each song averages 4 patch changes.This delay block works great for this song.In conclusion the aim is to create movement between the 2 speakers.The patch isolated is a cool effect but the patch in the mix is a perfect solution to create the movement that lacks when theres only 1 guitarist.Having played and recorded 2500 over the past 8 years for TheVoice and climbing, it definately works .

i also suspect that you hear the side with the delay as quieter, because our brains use micro delays to perceive directionality along with volume (haas effect). one side is delayed slightly, so the brain thinks it's further away and so must be quieter than the other side. it's worth checking with a level meter whether there really is a volume difference between the two sides, or it's your brain fooling you. i just tested it and found a difference of about 0.2db between the dry side and the delayed side. the question is then, do you adjust like michael did, so that you perceive both sides as equal, or not.

i also suspect that you hear the side with the delay as quieter, because our brains use micro delays to perceive directionality along with volume (haas effect). one side is delayed slightly, so the brain thinks it's further away and so must be quieter than the other side. it's worth checking with a level meter whether there really is a volume difference between the two sides, or it's your brain fooling you. i just tested it and found a difference of about 0.2db between the dry side and the delayed side. the question is then, do you adjust like michael did, so that you perceive both sides as equal, or not.
I normally adjust by hearing it and yes you'll find the db reading is normally less on one side.

Hi Guys,
The Voice season 8 has kicked off in Australia .Thought I'd share some clips with you all to hear the AXE FX2 in action.I'm hoping these clips are not restricted to Australia .Please let me know if you cant access these YouTube clips.
I'm the only Guitarist on the show and have always used 2 amps with a left and right cab .I always run a 20ms pingpong delay in the chain to give that random reaction between the 2 amps.If you have headphones you'll notice it (hopefully haha)The reason I do this is to create a wide sonic range across the panning spectrum and it also gives the illusion of 2 guitars playing.I've also added an acoustic song we did I also run my acoustic through the AXE FX
cheers

Michael

Dude you rule! Great stuff and what an honor to even be able to say I use the same gear as you! That must have been a audition that was not easy to get and sure 100's tried out, if not more!! Your resume is amazing!!!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
The Voice season 8 has kicked off in Australia .Thought I'd share some clips with you all to hear the AXE FX2 in action.I'm hoping these clips are not restricted to Australia .Please let me know if you cant access these YouTube clips.
I'm the only Guitarist on the show and have always used 2 amps with a left and right cab .I always run a 20ms pingpong delay in the chain to give that random reaction between the 2 amps.If you have headphones you'll notice it (hopefully haha)The reason I do this is to create a wide sonic range across the panning spectrum and it also gives the illusion of 2 guitars playing.I've also added an acoustic song we did I also run my acoustic through the AXE FX
cheers

Michael

So all patches get this 20 ms delay? Lead, crunch and cleans? Very coll and will have to try. I'm only guitarist in band and anything to sound fuller and multi dimensional, the better!

Dude you rule! Great stuff and what an honor to even be able to say I use the same gear as you! That must have been a audition that was not easy to get and sure 100's tried out, if not more!! Your resume is amazing!!!
Hi Tremonti,
Thank you so much for the kind words really appreciate it. I was actually just offered the gig witjh no audition process.As a matter of fact when i was offered the gig I turned it down.It took the Musical Director 3 months to convince me to do it lol...

Back
Top Bottom