• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Using Midi Block over USB?

CurvedLight

Inspired
I have been trying to get the Midi Block to Send PC/CC messages over the USB Midi interface.
I do not see any data coming across using a Midi Utilities software monitor, I am seeing constant SysEx messages being sent .

Questions :
  1. - Can the PC/CC messages be sent over USB Midi ?
  2. - Is it normal for the flood of sysEx to be flowing ?
  3. - Can I turn the sysEx flood off ?

thanks

Last edited:

CurvedLight

Inspired
After further experimentation ......

After connecting the AxeFx midi Out to my PCs Midi In via a midi cable I am able to see the Midi Block transmit Midi PC/CC messages as expected.

I was hoping these messages were "echoed" via the AxeFx USB Midi in. This would allow me to route the PC/CC messages to other software packages running on the same PC WITHOUT using an additional Midi in port and cable.

FYI: my end game is to use PC/CC messages in my AXE scenes to select DMX lighting controller scenes/sequences running on the same pc.

On my PC I was able to copy the Axe PC/CC messages from my PC Midi Input to the AXE FX
USB Midi In via a Midi Tools app on my PC - guess what happened ?
When I sent a PC message it changed the PRESET on the AXE FX ------ I guess this makes sense

Can someone from Fractal Audio please confirm my findings ?

CurvedLight

Inspired
To close this out. I have confirmed via experimentation that the MIDI Block Only sends data over the HW Midi ports and NOT over USB. So one has to use a midi cable and a Midi to USB dongle to send AxeFx Midi Block Messages to a PC that is connected to the AxeFx via USB for control/audio

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
  • - Is it normal for the flood of sysEx to be flowing ?
  • - Can I turn the sysEx flood off ?

I think this flood appears when you connect Axe-Edit and stops when you disconnect it.

As for the main question, here's my wishlist thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ability-to-route-midi-to-from-usb.145747/ and a recent thread discussing this issue: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-using-axe-fx-iii-to-control-a-daw.148806/

Leave comments there, maybe someone will notice.

Top Bottom