Using MFC101 with Axe Fx 2 and Kemper together.

eljodon

Experienced
I'm using the MFC101 with my Axe Fx 2 for effects and my Kemper for amps. I'm having an issue with changing parameters on the Kemper and the only thing I can do is change programs.I would like to be able to change amps on the Kemper while changing scenes The only way it works is if I use the MFC101 on MIDI mode(not Axe Fx 2 mode) The problem is that I rely on using scenes with the Axe Fx 2 and I'm not sure how to set up with the MFC101 with Axe Fx mode off. If anyone has some tips how to set this up, I would appreciate it. I've look everywhere and I can't find detailed info on how to set this up. Thanks.

Anyone? I think there's a conspiracy going on because I can't find any detail info on this set up!

Anyone? I think there's a conspiracy going on because I can't find any detail info on this set up!

The MFC-101 can send SCENE INCR (CC #123) and SCENE DECR (CC #124) commands (CC's) as well as a CC to select a specific Scene in the Axe-Fx. Here are the CC numbers you need to / can send to the Axe-Fx. To select a specific Scene, you need to send CC #34 with the value of the scene you want. This list is accessible from the Tools menu of MFC-Edit.
Axe-Fx CC Assignments.png

Also, from the SCENES MINI MANUAL:
Scene Selection via CC.png

Last edited:
I have the same problem, with the mfc 101 I can not switch from amp to kemper when switching scenes. However with the AX8 you can do it without problems since you can assign a midi to each scene. I hope someone can clarify in detail or with some video as changing scenes with the mfc 101 you can change preset or amp in the kemper. Greetings.

Yeah, the scene-switch doesn't send CCs. However, in non-Axe-Fx mode (General Purpose IA Switch) you can send the CCs etc.

The MFC-101 can send SCENE INCR (CC #123) and SCENE DECR (CC #124) commands (CC's) as well as a CC to select a specific Scene in the Axe-Fx. Here are the CC numbers you need to / can send to the Axe-Fx. To select a specific Scene, you need to send CC #34 with the value of the scene you want. This list is accessible from the Tools menu of MFC-Edit.
View attachment 37075

Also, from the SCENES MINI MANUAL:
View attachment 37076
Thank you! I'll give it a try. To make it work, do I need to use the MFC101 in general MIDI mode and not Axe Fx 2 mode? I would also need to use a MIDI cable instead of the ethernet type cable from the MFC to the Axe Fx 2 so it can send CC# from the MIDI out of the Axe Fx 2 to the Kemper? The Axe Fx 2 appears to only send PC with the ethernet type cable which works fine if I would only use one amp per song. I would like to switch amps with the Kemper which can be done via CC# or PC because I use 2 to 3 different amps or amp settings with many of the songs in my band. With the Axe FX 2 I can switch many parameters on the amps easily but I was running out of processing power with the Axe Fx 2 so that's why I'm using the Kemper plus I have all my amps profiled.

Check section 2.2, bullet #22 for the Axe Fx II mk2 and XL+ MIDI passthrough and buffered output behavior of the equipment. I don't want to explain it here and do it poorly :) Also check sections 3.4.11 and 9.3 of the Axe-Fx owner's manual.

Check section 2.2, bullet #22 for the Axe Fx II mk2 and XL+ MIDI passthrough and buffered output behavior of the equipment. I don't want to explain it here and do it poorly :) Also check sections 3.4.11 and 9.3 of the Axe-Fx owner's manual.

Thanks! And if you're the one responsible for MFC Edit. Brilliant!

Hi bwanagary, thanks for your help.I was able to make things work to a certain extent. The way the Kemper Profiler works, you can use "Rigs" which is just like Axe Fx 2 but without "scenes". The Performance Mode uses"5 Slots" per program or "sets" so you can have 5 different amps or different amp settings so you can switch for clean, rhythm, lead etc. The problem is that each slot can be switch via CC#(50,51,52 ,53 and 54) but it also uses PC for every slot so one set one it starts with PC# 1 and 2nd set starts with PC#6 and 3rd set starts PC#11, etc. The issue I'm having is that when I reach PC#126 the next one will start at 131 which is PC#3 bank 2 and I can't figure out how to send bank change with the MFC101. I found a workaround by using AI's to move Kemper sets up or down by using CC48 and CC49 when I reach the limit. I use the MFC101 with 0 banks so I can have 17 AI's and I use up and down foot switches to change songs while using AI 1 through 5 for scene changes. I use the preset menu on the MFC101 to select the presets used for a song with Axe Fx2 on midi channel 1 and the Kemper on channel 2 which will be different since I have to use preset 1,6,11,16 etc due to the way the "performance mode"
I tried many ways to try to make the MFC101 to send bank changes after 128 without any success. I made it work but after song 22(out of 30) I have to remember to use the AI to scroll up the next set on the Kemper. If you have any ideas on how to address this issue of sending bank(LSB) changes with the MFC101, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any clear info about his at all. Thank you!

Off the top of my head, see if this will work for you, even though it will be a pain to set it up the first time.
  • The MFC-101 has 384 presets
  • Each preset can send 2 PC commands when selected
  • One of the PC commands will be sent along the Axe-Fx MIDI channel (although you can trick it)
  • The other PC commands will be sent along the MIDI channels you specify in the MFC-101 Preset
This is going to be difficult to explain without a graphic so see the graphic below before continuing:
Preset with extra PC channel - annotatedl.png
This example shows that Preset #12 will select Preset #12 in the Axe-Fx (which is the default - it can be overridden) and it will also send PC 999 on MIDI Channel 4. The MFC-101 will automatically convert PC 999 to the appropriate Bank Select and PC number and send those for you along the MIDI channel you select. As you can see, selecting a single MFC-101 Preset can send a PC on up to 16 MIDI channels. By default the MFC-101 Presets send the PC of the Preset number on all MIDI channels - right-click your mouse on the Program Change strip on this screen for some power tools to make this more manageable. It sounds like you'd want to increment your Kemper MIDI channels by 5, not by 1, as each MFC-101 Preset is increased. So MFC-Preset #1 would send Kemper-PC #1; MFC-PC #2 would send Kemper-PC #6, MFC-PC #3 would send Kemper-PC #11 and so on. The example above shows the Kemper on MIDI channel 4 but you would use the actual MIDI channel corresponding to your Kemper. This isn't the only way to accomplish what you're trying to do. There might be a way to change the behavior of the Kemper so it plays better with the MFC-101. Anyway, some more food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom