Using MFC pedals to control MIDI Guitar 2

bondsong

Experienced
I'm trying to use the 3rd ext pedal in my MFC 101 ver 3, to control a fader in MIDI Guitar 2 (It's a software guitar to midi converter. In my AXE FXIIXL+ I have "MFC Echo to MIDI out" set to "On" and "USB Adaptor Mode" set to "On"
The pedal is set for CC#16 and the channel is 2 in the MFC.

It does send data but the only message I can get from moving the pedal is CC 0 and a value of 0. How do I get the pedal to send it's actual CC# and value over USB MIDI? Anyone know?

I used to own a MFC-101 Mark I, so I'm going off my not so good memory but do you have a MIDI interface or do you only have the Axe-Fx II?

If you have a MIDI Interface, try connecting the MIDI IN to the MFC-101 MIDI OUT. I think you have to change a setting in the MFC-101 to use the MIDI ports instead of the RJ45 Ethernet port. Then see if the MFC-101 is sending the correct messages.

If you don't have a MIDI Interface, I'm not sure if the Axe-Fx II will work properly as a MIDI Interface. I think I tried a long time ago without much success. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen Audio MIDI Interface for my MIDI and the SPDIF for re-amping.

I was using the Axe Fx as the midi interface. It actually does send a message it's just that the message being sent is useless. It's CC#0 (bank change) and the only value is also 0. I was trying to do this without having to bring in another piece of gear if possible. Since there is data going through when I move the pedal I would just like to know how to set that data to what I want, which would be a CC# and a number from 0-127 controlled by the pedal. If I could do this it would be awesome for controlling the MG2 with the AXEFX sounds.

I checked to see what else is coming through the AxeFX's USB from the MFC and it doesn't seem what I push on the MFC. I still get CC#0 and value 0. The only thing that changes is the MIDI channel. It's correct. All the switches or pedals just send CC#0 and value 0. This is extremely useless but also confusing. I must have some setting wrong but I'm not sure what it is.

Are you using a MIDI cable to connect your MFC-101 to your Axe-Fx II or a network cable? Try using a MIDI cable as a test. I think you only need one 5pin MIDI cable going from the MFC-101 MIDI Out to the Axe-Fx II MIDI In because it's bi-directional but you'll need to use the MFC-101 power adapter unless you're using a 7pin MIDI cable. If you only have 3pin MIDI cables, you'll need 2 of them.

My MFC is connected with FAS Link. I can see the data arriving at the Axe FX and arriving in the computer. I'll reconfigure the setup when I get a chance and retest it.

So I used an external midi interface(MIDEX 8) from the Axe FX out to my MBP. I am now able to send the expression pedal data to Midi Guitar 2 and through to my soft synths. This allows me to assign the synth to an expression pedal and bring it in and out as needed. Of course I don't want to drag a separate MIDI interface around just to do this but I have a Yamaha MDBT01 on order so when that arrives hopefully it will work the same as the MIDEX 8. Also I was able to turn off USB adaptor Mode in the AXE MIDI menu and it doesn't appear to affect anything. All I have on is Echo to MIDI Out.
It's still a mystery to me why the AXE USB interface is so screwed up as far as MIDI is concerned. From what I understand it may be a MAC issue with MIDI over USB but I haven't seen any official word from anyone on this. All I know is it doesn't work. Too bad because it would be a very neat solution if I only needed a USB cable to connect.

Last edited:
So I used an external midi interface(MIDEX 8) from the Axe FX out to my MBP. I am now able to send the expression pedal data to Midi Guitar 2 and through to my soft synths. This allows me to assign the synth to an expression pedal and bring it in and out as needed. Of course I don't want to drag a separate MIDI interface around just to do this but I have a Yamaha MDBT01 on order so when that arrives hopefully it will work the same as the MIDEX 8. Also I was able to turn off USB adaptor Mode in the AXE MIDI menu and it doesn't appear to affect anything. All I have on is Echo to MIDI Out.
It's still a mystery to me why the AXE USB interface is so screwed up as far as MIDI is concerned. From what I understand it may be a MAC issue with MIDI over USB but I haven't seen any official word from anyone on this. All I know is it doesn't work. Too bad because it would be a very neat solution if I only needed a USB cable to connect.

I'm glad you got it to work. I think I've read someplace that issues can be caused by leaving the USB ADAPTER MODE: ON.

Also, if you search the new Q7.0 Manual for the word USB, it says in multiple sections that you should be able to use the Axe-Fx II as a MIDI Interface. You should contact support to make sure it's not a misprint.

It worked whether I had the USB adaptor mode on or off. I just turned it off to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I looked at the manual. I did a search for USB and it appears, according to the manual, that it should all work as a 2-way MIDI interface but like I said earlier, I'm not getting the proper midi messages. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom