Using high end computer speakers with Axe III - Output volume/Sound Quality Questions

MackieFX

Experienced
Ive got my AxeIII set up with some audio engine A5+ speakers. I'm using XLR -> RCA cables.

The output level of the Axe seems lower than the level my computer speakers, which means I end up turning up the amp in the Axe to 0.0Db to+5dB

However, if I do this the sound starts to clip quite harshly, and I dont know if this is the Axe or my speakers. Also the headphone sound seems far more saturated than the speaker sound in terms of gain.

Should I be using computer speakers?
Have I set something up wrong?
Would studio monitors help?

I'm using JBL reference monitors with an Apollo thunderbolt interface into my Mac. Axe III is connected via S/PDIF. All my levels are where they should be.

Ive got my AxeIII set up with some audio engine A5+ speakers. I'm using XLR -> RCA cables.

The output level of the Axe seems lower than the level my computer speakers, which means I end up turning up the amp in the Axe to 0.0Db to+5dB

However, if I do this the sound starts to clip quite harshly, and I dont know if this is the Axe or my speakers. Also the headphone sound seems far more saturated than the speaker sound in terms of gain.

Should I be using computer speakers?
Have I set something up wrong?
Would studio monitors help?
how high is the Output 1 physical knob on the Axe?

if there's not enough volume and you can turn the Out knob up more, i'd try that.

although that should be a lot of level at that knob position.

as mentioned above, you may want to change the out setting from -10 to +4. turn down the axe first.

be sure to check the VU meter on the hardware Layout > Zoom Out setting so you don't clip going to the output converters.

Back
Top Bottom