Using FM3 with Microphones/DAW

Grummz

I'm looking to use the FM3 to process vocals through my DAW and save me buying a new interface and plug ins.

The idea is to run a Shure SM7B for podcasting into a cloud-lifter (and then a pre-amp if I still need one after the cloudlifter?), then run that into the FM3.

I would then use the FM3 for vocal compression, EQ and reverb, etc. and run that both live for Twitch as well as through my DAW as an effect loop when using already recorded voice over (Reaper).

How's the noise floor of the FM3 for vocal applications? Are the effects as clean and useful for voice as they are for guitar? Will the cloudlifter suffice to boost the signal for the FM3 or do I still need a mic pre?

How's the noise floor of the FM3 for vocal applications? Are the effects as clean and useful for voice as they are for guitar? Will the cloudlifter suffice to boost the signal for the FM3 or do I still need a mic pre?
The noise floor is as low for vocals as it is for guitar. Noise floors don’t care what instrument you”re playing. :)

The effects are world-class. The kind of stuff you’d find in a studio,

Last edited:
You still need a mic pre, the Cloudlifter is only bringing the SM7 (or other low output mic) up to the output range of condenser mics. And, the Cloudlifter needs 48V power, which your mic pre would generally provide (the FM3 does not).

I use a scarlet 2i2 als pre for a rhode (48V phantom power) mic and then go into fm3, recording with logic pro X. Works for my needs perfectly.

Thanks! Do you do your vocal effects in line or have any of you tried using the FM3 as an outboard processing device from your DAW?

Thanks! Do you do your vocal effects in line or have any of you tried using the FM3 as an outboard processing device from your DAW?
I don’t stream so this is from a recording/production context. I tried using the FM3 as an outboard, I even have a preset setup for it. It’s “cool” but honestly, the hassle of real-time isn’t worth it for me unless the outboard gear is offering significant analog color (say, a real LA2A or Pultec). Otherwise, plug-ins cover all your bases, are saved with the DAW project, and can be bounced offline.

On the other hand, if I had a more traditional setup with an analog console as the heart of the studio (rather than a DAW+interface), I’d be more inclined to have as many outboard options as possible in the patchbay.

Hi Grummz, hope i understood you right ?, I record with 2 armed tracks 1 with the wet signal, and 2nd the signal (mic) which is hitting Input 1 and I use reamping in Logix to change effects post, but I honestly dont know if that is a "pro" approach in context ? It just works for me.

Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 4 pre USB. I am trying to use that to patch a microphone into FM 3 so I can record voice and guitar at the same time on logic pro X. I read the threads above, but I am still unclear how to do it. Thanks for any help you can give!

I use a scarlet 2i2 als pre for a rhode (48V phantom power) mic and then go into fm3, recording with logic pro X. Works for my needs perfectly.
Thanks for the input, Frischerl. It would be great if you could tell me how you set up your Scarlet and your logic pro X so I can input FM 3 and a microphone at the same time. I have a Clarett 4pre USB, and I am hoping that you're set up but works for me too. Oh, and yes I'm working with logic proX.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi Jonny have just saw your quote, as GlennO answered I would use #4 but as I am not recording guitar and vocals once I have no need to do so. Hope you could already find setting for you that is working fine ? Best michael

Hi Jonny have just saw your quote, as GlennO answered I would use #4 but as I am not recording guitar and vocals once I have no need to do so. Hope you could already find setting for you that is working fine ? Best michael
Thanks, Frischerl! I'm working on it ... there's a lot of other things I need to learn. But I'm working on it.
Thanks, GlennO, there's a lot of other things I need to work on to make this work. However, I do have a question you might be able to answer: How do I hook up the FM 3 as a midi device 2 my Mac using logic pro x. It seems like I need to do that to make option 4 work.

? No, there's no need for midi for any of the configurations in the guide. Simply connect both your Clarett and your FM3 to your mac and follow the instructions for configuration #4. No additional gear or cabling or preparation is required.

Hi Jonny If you want to use midi with fm3 you have to get a midi to usb cable. There are some tutorials from cooper carter on how to Programm fm3 3 scene or block status changed in the Logic Pro timeline in a song, it takes some time to get used To it but you can automise almost everything

? No, there's no need for midi for any of the configurations in the guide. Simply connect both your Clarett and your FM3 to your mac and follow the instructions for configuration #4. No additional gear or cabling or preparation is required.
Thanks, GlennO! I followed #4, and it worked great!

Back
Top Bottom