Using FM3 w/H9 AND 2 Guitars?

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
As far as I can tell, it's one or the other. I'd like to use my piezo equipped Tele but also my Eventide. If this can't be done I'll move over to the wish list. Perhaps if the IN 2 & OUT 2 blocks had a Pan control? Also, if you're using Out 2 as an effect send, how are you guys getting signal to FOH and FRFR?

As far as I can tell, it's one or the other.
Correct.

If this can't be done I'll move over to the wish list.
Sure, but doubtful this will be implemented. Simplified routing and I/O is one of the things that separates the FM3 from the flagship Axe-Fx III product.

Also, if you're using Out 2 as an effect send, how are you guys getting signal to FOH and FRFR?
Split the OUT1 signal? Something like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ds2800-2-input-8-output-distribution-splitter maybe?

Simplified routing and I/O is one of the things that separates the FM3 from the flagship Axe-Fx III product.
Of course but, we do have stereo send and returns for IN/OUT 2.
So f.ex. if we had pan control we could pan the return left for an external effect and pan right for a piezo pickup or acoustic guitar. If it's not making sense or possible ok, I'll find a work-a-round. Sure we be nice if it could be done.

Of course but, we do have stereo send and returns for IN/OUT 2.
So f.ex. if we had pan control we could pan the return left for an external effect and pan right for a piezo pickup or acoustic guitar. If it's not making sense or possible ok, I'll find a work-a-round. Sure we be nice if it could be done.
You can only pan something one way. You can pan leftward or rightward, not both at the same time, separately. So I think you want to “split” instead.

on the Axe2 generation, I had to use 2 volume blocks after the Input to split the left and right signals, so it might work here too for the input at least. I think it’s called “input source” in the Vol block. you set one to Left and the other to Right. 1st block to the right of the input, 2nd under the 1st vol block.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 5.33.54 PM.png

Last edited:
I use a Boss LS-2 line selector before the FM3 for switching guitars, I have a Specular Tempus reverb in the Out2/In2 loop, and I have a Mackie stereo passive DI box after the FM3 for splitting FOH XLR and 1/4" out for my FRFRs.

You can only pan something one way. You can pan leftward or rightward, not both at the same time, separately. So I think you want to “split” instead.

on the Axe2 generation, I had to use 2 volume blocks after the Input to split the left and right signals, so it might work here too for the input at least. I think it’s called “input source” in the Vol block. you set one to Left and the other to Right. 1st block to the right of the input, 2nd under the 1st vol block.

View attachment 72619
This seems like it would work at first but if "In 2" has 2 different sources (L/R), wouldn't the "Vol/Pan" block after simply pan them both? I'll have to try this after I get some coffee. Thanks Chris! Always thinking!

This seems like it would work at first but if "In 2" has 2 different sources (L/R), wouldn't the "Vol/Pan" block after simply pan them both?
The input select parameter lets you select L or R as the block input signal. Select L in one vol/pan and R in the other.

I use a Boss LS-2 line selector before the FM3 for switching guitars, I have a Specular Tempus reverb in the Out2/In2 loop, and I have a Mackie stereo passive DI box after the FM3 for splitting FOH XLR and 1/4" out for my FRFRs.
The Boss switcher is cool. My Tele already has a 3 way toggle for Elec-Piezo-Both. With the AxeIII it's easy having multiple inputs. I run out of the guitar with a TRS that splits at the rack. All I have to do is flip the switch on my guitar as I have 2 signal paths setup. I'll tweak my brain some more but I'll probably have to use the AxeIII when I need that feature.

Since I'm running mono, I set output 1 to copy L to R. Left goes to FOH, right to my FRFR. No additional gear needed.

For now, if I'm going to use an electric and an acoustic I'll just get an external switcher. Much easier. Save the AxeIII for the Tele w/piezo

Problem I'm having now is getting the levels right with the H9 in the loop. For some reason it's much quieter. I have In/Out 2 blocks set to 0, H9 level is hitting at -6 and both L/R level knobs on the FM3 are at noon. If I remove In/Out 2 blocks and unplug the H9 the volume rips my head off. I'll have to spend more time with both manuals. In the meantime, anyone has any ideas?

The Boss switcher is cool. My Tele already has a 3 way toggle for Elec-Piezo-Both. With the AxeIII it's easy having multiple inputs. I run out of the guitar with a TRS that splits at the rack. All I have to do is flip the switch on my guitar as I have 2 signal paths setup. I'll tweak my brain some more but I'll probably have to use the AxeIII when I need that feature.

Since I'm running mono, I set output 1 to copy L to R. Left goes to FOH, right to my FRFR. No additional gear needed.

Another idea would be a MIDI-controlled loop selector, like the Disaster Area DPC-micro. It's got three inputs, so you could do both the mag and piezo of your Tele into the loop returns (ignoring the sends), plus another guitar, and the switching could be controlled via patches and scenes on the FM3 using the MIDI block.

For some reason, that didn't work
You need to balance rows properly at the output block as well, so it's likely something related to that, or just not having all relevant input/output modes set to "stereo".

For the level thing, try turning the Output 2 knob to 100%. I'm not sure if you clearly mentioned two different destinations from Output 2 L & R but if you're running 2 rows as L/R you can just turn down either row's level as needed in the Out 2 block.

Back
Top Bottom