Using FM3 to Re-amp WITHOUT USB using Logic Pro X's I/O Plugin

tmbridge

Hi all,

Quick intro: I'm relatively new to the world of modeling and have been learning the FM3 for a few months now.

I'd like to be able to re-amp without switching from my USB Interface (Beringer UMD404HD) to the FM3 as the In/Out device in Logic Pro X.

I have a patch bay connecting literally everything in my rig and this is what I've tried:

• I ensure my computer is sending Logic output to Behringer Outputs 1 & 2, leaving 3 & 4 to be used for re-amping.
  • I create a new track and assign Behringer Input 1 to it
  • I record DI guitar, without FM3 in the signal chain at all. I go directly to the Behringer interface.
  • I patch the Playback Output 3 from the Behringer interface to the Input 1 of the FM3
  • I add an I/O Plugin to my channel strip containing guitar DI
  • I set the I/O Plugin with Output = Playback Output 3 and Input = Behringer Input 3

At this point, I expect the track to play with the FM3 in the signal chain. Instead, I just hear the regular DI. The weird thing is, if I play other sounds from my computer (Spotify, Youtube), it DOES get the FM3 effects applied. It's only through Logic where it seems to bypass the FM3

I also tried printing to a new track by adding these steps:
  • I add a new track and set it's input to Behringer Input 3
  • I record this new track

At this point, I expect the new printed track to contain the effects/models from the FM3 but instead I get either a direct copy of the DI track, silence, the DI track + what sounds like very slight/low volume reverb/delay tails, or a mash of feedback. Forgive me, but in my final minutes of troubleshooting, I moved so many settings that I forgot what actually causes the change from DI, silence, feedback. I can run through the config permutations again and take proper notes if it would significantly help troubleshooting.

Anyway, I know I could use the USB re-amping method -- but I'm really curious to see if I could get this working. It'd also help for future situations where I'd want to add outboard gear into Logic.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
Going into the FM3 Input 1 in the manner described is not going to work well. Input 1 on the FM3 is an Instrument Level Input, and the Behringer Output (or any other Interface or preamp, compressor, synth etc.) is Line Level. Behringer to FM3 1= Impedance mismatch and noise.

Use the FM3 IN 2 which is designed for line level analog input. Run the signal through the FM3 processing to Analog Outs and you have a no USB set up.

But the easiest way to extend functionality would be: Use the MacOS's Audio Midi to create a Composite Device that is made up of both the Behringer and the FM3: This way both USB devices can be used at the same time, and set up whatever routing suits your needs via Logic's routing assignments. The FM3 can be a send and return processing device (reamping,etc.) via USB, or rout analog gear through the FM3 IN 2 for additional inputs at the same time and in addition to whatever you're doing with the Behringer. No unnecessary DA and AD conversions: Less latency, less added noise.

Last edited:
But the easiest thing to do would be to would be: Using the MacOS's Audio Midi to create a Composite Device and then you can use both the Behringer and the FM3 USB at the same time, and use whatever routing suits your needs via Logic's routing assignments. This way you could just use the FM3 as a send and return processing device (reamping,etc.) via USB, or rout analog gear through the FM3 IN 2 for additional inputs at the same time and in addition to whatever you're doing with the Behringer.

Holy jesus... this is exactly what I was looking for a few days ago. I thought it was really odd and short sighted that Logic could only use one interface at a time. This is amazing and will solve all my issues, likely. Thanks so much!

It just goes to show me how new and naive I am to the world of recording and 'production'. There is so much I don't know that I don't even know most of what I don't know, ya know? ;)

Thanks again!

Glad to help. It works amazingly well too, as Logic time aligns everything. One thing to keep track of is the sync. Typically things work fine using the Internal (computer) clock, but if there are any stability issues with multiple devices, it may be best to set the clock to the FM3 when using it.

Last edited:
Thanks again!

After setting up an Aggregate Device, reading the FM3 manual, and playing around with Logic's I/O plugin, I am now able to re-amp a DI track through the FM3 without having to record to a print track. So I can now tweak a track's tone without having to print to a new track every...single...time.

And then, once I have the tone set, I can save the FM3 Preset/Scene and simply print the track at that point. If I ever need to tweak in the future, I can simply load up that preset/scene, un-hide the DI, flip some settings in the FM3, turn on the I/O Plugin and BOOM, I have the exact tone I printed earlier... all ready to be tweaked and then, when ready, printed again.

This, combined with Logic's Grouping and Editing (Selection) + Quantize-Locked (Audio) feature means that all my edits, automation, flex time, etc., are all done on BOTH the DI track and the printed track -- so re-amping the DI doesn't mean losing all my edits!! WOOO

This is a game changer. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom