Using external switches - how to make them behave?

Wildwind

Experienced
With my (now retired) Axe-FX II and MFC, I used four Boss FS-5U switches with insert cables (so only used two jacks) and was able to program them to toggle things like ODs, Chorus, Trem, etc. This was done on the MFC using MIDI codes.

I believe the AX8 can do this, but after checking out the manual and messing with AX8-Edit, I'm not making any headway.

Can someone point the way here? This would be really handy for me, if it is possible. I don't have to use the insert cables if that's the problem, but I did hook up regular 1/4-inch guitar cables, with no change in results.

My Mission pedal (used for expression/volume) is not here. Is its absence part of my problem?

Thanks!

Look at scenes or control switch setups in the manual. All switching via AX8 foot switches.

You have more switches when using scenes, such as:

Scene 1 - Drive1, Chorus, Delay

Scene 2 - Delay, Phaser, Drive2

Scene 3 - Reverb, lower gain

Control switch 1 (lead boost) - Amp boost on, Delay2

Lots of options.

For the external switches, connect a modifier to the effect, OD, etc. and route to the External 1, 2, 3, 4.

With my (now retired) Axe-FX II and MFC, I used four Boss FS-5U switches with insert cables (so only used two jacks) and was able to program them to toggle things like ODs, Chorus, Trem, etc. This was done on the MFC using MIDI codes.

I believe the AX8 can do this, but after checking out the manual and messing with AX8-Edit, I'm not making any headway.

Can someone point the way here? This would be really handy for me, if it is possible. I don't have to use the insert cables if that's the problem, but I did hook up regular 1/4-inch guitar cables, with no change in results.

My Mission pedal (used for expression/volume) is not here. Is its absence part of my problem?

Thanks!
each Pedal/Switch port can use 1 switch via TS cable, or 1 expression pedal via TRS cable.

the MFC specifically had Switch jacks that hosted 2 switches per jack, which is not the norm.

Okay, it does help that the MFC jack is not like the AX8. Still - and I do understand there are many possiblities - I just need to toggle a single effect with each switch. And I can't figure out how to map the effect to that switch. I will play with the hardware and see if I can get it. AX8Edit doesn't seem to help, though I'm likely doing it wrong.

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure I'm making it harder than it really is.

Okay, it does help that the MFC jack is not like the AX8. Still - and I do understand there are many possiblities - I just need to toggle a single effect with each switch. And I can't figure out how to map the effect to that switch. I will play with the hardware and see if I can get it. AX8Edit doesn't seem to help, though I'm likely doing it wrong.

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure I'm making it harder than it really is.
You must assign the effect to the Pedal port on the hardware in the Setup>I/O>CTRL menu. But this somewhat “permanently” assigns those effects to those switches. Change it from the default number to the correct Pedal number in that menu.

These switches will be “dumb” though, meaning the switch won’t know the status of the effect, so you may have to double tap a switch to make it do what you want.

Can you describe exactly what you want to accomplish and we can suggest some more flexible ideas?

I'm trying to duplicate my former setup and just want to use the "side" switches to add an effect that's not in my Scene for that song or patch. Sometimes I may want more OD or to add chorus or trem. I can't always foresee what might happen on the gig. I know I can remap the switches on the AX8 but want to keep them as they are - patches on top row and Scenes on bottom row. I don't dance well enough to change that now if I can help it! Thanks Chris! You continue to bless me with your contributions to this group.

An example of how I use external switches: I have a mission SP-1 set up a VOL pedal, with external 2 set as the Controller. There is a TRS cable on Output 1 of the Pedal into External 2 on the back of the rig. There's another cable on the output 2 of the pedal going to External 4. In the AX8 Edit interface, I select my Boost block, which in the case, is a PEQ block, and my Solo Delay Block, and assign Ext 4 as the "Block on/off" in the bypass controller section.

Back
Top Bottom