Using external pedals with Axe-FX II?

MarkShrader

Inspired
In another thread we were discussing copying the sound of a certain drive pedal, which was then followed by a video post of a player using the ACTUAL drive pedal we were discussing through his Axe-FX II. Now I am curious about how many players here on the forum are routing externally to other devices, whether pre-AF2, post-AF2, or even inline using send & receive blocks. I know, I know, the beauty of this device is having everything neatly tucked inside the box and staying consistent as we travel from gig to gig, but I am curious nonetheless. The collective profile of the Axe-FX guitar player is very fascinating to me...

Forum Friends: Do you currently use external pedals in this way with the AF2?

Me: not currently, but I am considering it.

I have one or two pedals I have put in front of it more to see how they worked rather than any regular use.

Dweezil Zappa, uses a lot of pedals with the Axe FX. There are some rig rundowns on YouTube of his rig.

I use a bunch of fuzz pedals with the Axe-Fx II -- stuff that it doesn't model. Works awesome.

I have used some of my pedals into the Axe, but it's been a while now. I'm thinking they might work that much better with FW10. I have a few pedals that I have no idea how to replicate inside the Axe so that's what led me to try them. Lately, I've been pretty happy with what's in the box though. I might get the itch and try again though.

FW10 made this easy. I use many pedals in front, my Wampler SLOstortion sounds wicked and my Hartman fuzzes sound like they should, everything sounds great with my Area-51 Wah. I have a mixer in the FX loop and use the FX sends to bring a Strymon BlueSky and Timeline in parallel. Fractal Audio has made everything possible.

Yea, knowing how hard Cliff worked on these modelers, seems like it re-opens the door to anything... I.e. some of these great new drive pedals that are very difficult to model, etc (Wampler Fusion, and so on)

STRYMON PEDALS with AXE!

FW10 made this easy. I use many pedals in front, my Wampler SLOstortion sounds wicked and my Hartman fuzzes sound like they should, everything sounds great with my Area-51 Wah. I have a mixer in the FX loop and use the FX sends to bring a Strymon BlueSky and Timeline in parallel. Fractal Audio has made everything possible.

I see where you are using the Strymon's with your AXE FX? I had an AXE FX2....got frusrated and sold it! I am juggling AXE FX2 XL+ or Kemper.....I was just told Kemper doesn't take pedals well! I have the TIMELINE....MOBIUS....BIG SKY...and Disaster Area Midi to control all three! If I re--purchase the axe fx.....could I get your help as to the proper set-up for these pedals?????

Back
Top Bottom