Using External MIDI knobs to control internal parameters

GreatGreen

Power User
Ever since I bought my Axe-Fx, I've been pretty much completely satisfied with the sounds I get. However, getting to those sounds can be kind of a pain. It would be so much simpler to get something like a Behringer knob box and just assign those knobs to individual parameters within the Axe so, like a real amp, if I want more or less treble/bass/gain/presence I could just twist a knob right in front of me and be done with it instead of menu navigating. I would mainly want to map the knobs to the Amp Block's gain, treble, mid, bass, presence, depth, master, and level. Basically, the important controls associated with a traditional amplifier.

However, I noticed that when I'm in the Axe-Fx, I see that you can easily attach an external modifier to the gain and master controls... but what about the treble, mids, bass, presence, and depth controls? I didn't see any option to assign external modifiers to them within the Axe. Am I missing something or am I kind of out of luck with what I want to do?

i would like this option as well , as i am controlling the ultra with a podx3 pro , it would be great to use the knobs on the pro , to controll those parameters on the ultra.

I just recently posted a thread regarding the Mackie C4 and using it with the Axe...IMO it would be perfect in a 1U drawer, with enough assignable knobs to handle controlling pretty much anything you need, and everyone could customize their tactile control to what suits them best, complete with digital scribble strips. I like the one guys idea for a 1U rackmountable controller, but I dont think you could fit enough knobs on the front of a rackspace...having it in a drawer makes the control surface physically bigger without taking up actual rack space.

The C4 has the best configuration of knobs that I've seen, I would configure the bottom two rows to amp 1 and 2, and disperse the rest of them between mix and level controls for the patch, and for drive, effects, reverb, delay, etc. Having a controller like that would cut tweaking time down so significantly...I find myself having to flip from page to page and back, over and over again to tweak 2 interactive parameters simultaneously, it would be so much easier and faster to have them both assigned to knobs!

I'm all for this. I've been running my Axe with a Behringer BFC2000 box with knobs assigned to drive/amp gains and then delay/tremolo/delay mix controls. I'd love to have more things to control, but I don't think the Behringer can handle the sysex sufficiently.

One thought I had concerned the editor. What if the editor could have CC assignments made for its' controls. It's already got the sysex programming needed for the Axe. Now if you simply allowed it to receive control from CCs, problem solved at least if you're willing to use a computer.

The problem with how the Axe works now is that it continually picks up values from the BFC, so if I switch presets, the amp levels are taken from the BFC rather than the Axe. In this scenario, I actually have to program the BFC to both change programs AND to have its' presets match the Axe presets. This could be avoided if the Axe did what is default for most software being controlled, i.e. it only takes controller values when controller values at first equal the existing value. Better still would be last changed wins, so that when the Axe preset changes, it sends to the BFC the current state and then tweaking can occur from there. As it is, anything assigned to external control immediate goes to that value which can make things ugly when switching patches and finding amp levels way off.

I'll be waiting for Cliff to bring out the Axe in a format similar to my ole Microwave XT (hope he has a good live where he is now) - at least I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Edit: He could call it the AxeCess or the AxeTC (TC=Total Control) :mrgreen:

5_05.jpg

I am also interested in a small midi interface with a couple knobs that could fit in a rack and allow for management of some parameters. I used to have a PodXTLive and it's true that the knobs are handy, when you are rehearsing it's easier to move a couple of knobs, like on a real amp, than browse through the pages on the little LCD.
I've seen the M Audio X-session Pro and the Behringer BCx2000 but it's not rackable and I dont need all those knobs.
Have you guys seen anything else that would fit the bill ?
Thanks

I posted a thread about doing this with the new software editor but no response. I'm not an expert on midi but I think it could work if there's support in the software for it. Something like how you program midi in Live, hit the midi edit, click the parameter in the editor, and move the midi knob. That would be great.

Bump!

Something like the Mackie C4, or the Novation Remote Zero could be totally perfect for on the fly tweaks, and totally streamline the whole AxeFX by giving the user a tactile control surface. You can control your AxeFX through MIDI and software, why not do it with hardware?

Back
Top Bottom