Using External 1 to control IN 1 (INSTR) Volume , can a min/max range be set?

Gene

Inspired
Hi, my AX8 defaults to the expression pedal connected to pedal 1 being assigned to the 'IN 1 (INSTR) volume' parameter.

For years to cut down on what I was carrying to gigs I went the route of a tube amp and basically set the amp with a good overdrive tone then using the guitar's volume pot to control how clean or dirty the sound got with my wee finger. So, I was going from clean to lead and everything in between using the guitar volume knob using my finger to adjust on the fly, works well and it is the way most of the guitarists did it in the 60's etc.

With the AX8 I was trying to use the expression pedal to alter the 'input gain' but decided against it as I cannot set a min and max range on it that I can see.

What I mean is, say I'm playing Hendrix or Cream tunes, I roll off the guitar volume for a rhythm tone and increase it to solo. I may set the volume knob around 6 or 7 for rhythm and roll on to 8,9 or 10 for solos depending on the tune and amount of overdrive required. I do it my ear mostly. I find doing it with the expression way too sensitive and for this reason I think it would be a good feature to be able to set the range to a min and max setting. I have used different pedals and swapping out the pedal doesn't make much difference.

Perhaps there is a parameter I have missed? If not it would be nice to include this feature on a global or per preset basis I think?

Any views?

Last edited:
You can set Min and Max values for any modifier. Just go to the modifier windo, and they’re right there. :)

I could I suppose, but I'll try to modify it before the amp block first to see, I could use a volume block too I guess. Thanks
I’m just asking what you are doing now so we can identity the problem.

I’m just asking what you are doing now so we can identity the problem.

Hi Chris, No it's not a problem as such at all. It's just with my old rigs (tube amps) I got used to altering my tone or amount of overdrive from the guitar volume knob, I never used a volume pedal as it could cut you off completely if you heel back too far.

The best way to describe it I guess is that with a slight turn of my little finger on the guitar volume knob I can go from rhythm to lead and back (I can also do same using the amp models in my AX8, AXE FX II XL and the new III and they behave same as my amps) so congrats on that, but I would like to be able to assign a modifier to the input gain parameter, assign it to expression pedal 1 and then set up a min and max range. I have it working on the pedal but when I back off the pedal heel down it is cutting my guitar signal to the grid completely, I wish to be able to set the min to a value for heel back.
Someone posted earlier that it is possible and I'm gonna look in a while when I get time. At the moment I'm dialing in an AX8 Chuck Berry preset based on his dimed amp, your Band Commander model. I read an interview from a guy who supplied Chuck with 3 band masters at a gig and Berry's bass player told him prior to the gig to turn all the knobs up FULL, as that is how Chuck sets them. So, I did that and got the sound, so well done on that one!!

What I am wondering is can I set the range on the expression pedal assigned to 'input gain' so it won't cut my signal completely when I heel back all the way on the pedal?

One reason I may not wish to assign a modifier to the amp block's input drive or trim param is I may wire a Roger Mayer Fuzz pedal into the AX8's loop and place it in the 1st slot in the grid before the amp block for a different preset. Being able to define the range on the 'input gain' modifier assigned to an expression pedal would allow me to dial in a fuzzy rhythm sound when I heel all the way back and a solo sound 'toe down' tone accurately.

Being able to do so on a per preset basis would allow settings to be dialed in more accurately for various different tunes, guitars etc using the same preset ( I use several guitars during gigs). Indeed it would be a great idea I think if we could assign and save these settings for individual banks. Not a global or a preset value but a BANK value.

An example where I could see this useful is lets say I have 8 presets I use mainly to get through a gig, presets 1-8. I place them in bank 1 for my strat, bank 2 for my Les Paul and so on and so on....... If I could save a setting for a particular guitar and assign it as the input gain setting for that bank ONLY.....this setting in turn feeding into all the presets contained in that bank........ it would mean I could make a patch for say for Hendrix style stuff......... place that preset in a bank for the Strat, plug out the strat and plug in the Flying V and call up the same preset but in bank 3 because bank 3's bank settings have been setup for the Flying V, get me?

I am aware that there are ways of doing this globally but if I am putting this across properly you may perhaps get the jist of what I am proposing and maybe consider looking at it for a future firmware inclusion.

Thanks Chris...........Sorry for late reply.

What I am wondering is can I set the range on the expression pedal assigned to 'input gain' so it won't cut my signal completely when I heel back all the way on the pedal?
most likely yes. but i still don't know what "input gain" you are referring to.

my question remains: do you mean the specific parameter called "Input Drive" in the amp block - some people casually call this "input gain." or do you mean the concept of "guitar input into the Axe-Fx"? or are you referring specifically to the Input 1 level in the Setup menu?

I would like to be able to assign a modifier to the input gain parameter

can I set the range on the expression pedal assigned to 'input gain'

Being able to define the range on the 'input gain' modifier

assign it as the input gain setting for that bank ONLY
you say "input gain" but i don't know what specific thing you mean.

most likely yes. but i still don't know what "input gain" you are referring to.

my question remains: do you mean the specific parameter called "Input Drive" in the amp block - some people casually call this "input gain." or do you mean the concept of "guitar input into the Axe-Fx"? or are you referring specifically to the Input 1 level in the Setup menu?

you say "input gain" but i don't know what specific thing you mean.

Sorry Chris, my mistake ....... I mean the IN 1 (INSTR) volume found in the i/o CTRL page. It defaults to pedal 1 and I have an expression pedal plugged into that socket.
Sorry for not being clearer and using incorrect term.

I should not have called it In 1 (instr) volume. Can a min and max value be assigned to the expression pedal controlling this parameter so that I can set a minimum value that will not completely cut off my signal to the grid or a max to limit strength on signal into the grid same as if I was actually using the guitar's pot to regulate the signal from the guitar?

Last edited:
Sorry Chris, my mistake ....... I mean the IN 1 (INSTR) volume found in the i/o CTRL page. It defaults to pedal 1 and I have an expression pedal plugged into that socket.
Sorry for not being clearer and using incorrect term.

I should not have called it In 1 (instr) volume.
No worries, just needed to know what you’re talking about.

Ok so THAT control: unfortunately no, it is a global function and only operates on the full range.

You can put a Volume block (or filter or any available block) first in your grid and control the level of THAT though and it will approximate the input of your guitar going into the Amp block. Since it has a Modifier screen, you can set min/max there.

No worries, just needed to know what you’re talking about.

Ok so THAT control: unfortunately no, it is a global function and only operates on the full range.

You can put a Volume block (or filter or any available block) first in your grid and control the level of THAT though and it will approximate the input of your guitar going into the Amp block. Since it has a Modifier screen, you can set min/max there.
Yes THAT one :DThanks for your reply and help. Ok, well I will use a volume block in the 1st grid slot so. Take care, Eugene.

Back
Top Bottom