Using EV-2 for wah

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Just got the Fractal EV-2 pedal. The sweep seems very wide, which might be good for some things, but not so much for wah.

Is it a good idea to put some kind of stopper under the heel side to limit the range?

Certainly it could limit the range if it physically, but then you lose the nice wide sweep which is great for volume, delay and reverb mix etc

I’d suggest keeping it as is and add a second pedal like a mission, which has the same shirt throw as a traditional crybaby, so great for way. Even better, get the spring option so then it’s auto engage whenever you step on it and off soon as you take your foot off.

Is it better to limit at the toe or heel side?
I like the form factor and weight of EV2 compared to Mission.

Is it better to limit at the toe or heel side?
I like the form factor and weight of EV2 compared to Mission.
I have mine under the toe of an EV-1 and it works great. I have a second one without for volume. Pretty sure the threads I have seen about this had the bumpers under the toe.

Certainly it could limit the range if it physically, but then you lose the nice wide sweep which is great for volume, delay and reverb mix etc

I’d suggest keeping it as is and add a second pedal like a mission, which has the same shirt throw as a traditional crybaby, so great for way. Even better, get the spring option so then it’s auto engage whenever you step on it and off soon as you take your foot off.
+1. Mission makes a superb wah controller. I have three EV2 and a Mission....
20200530_113017.jpg

Personally I would not limit the sweep of the pedal.
Had Mission spring loaded worked great felt like any Dunlop wah.
Started using an EV-1, it did take a little bit getting use to using it as a wah. However for me at least; allot easier to finesse. Allot easier to park the wah.

Give it a week or so, get use to it then make a judgement call.

Another good thing about using the 3M bumpers, is that it’s not permanent....totally removable if you don’t like it.

+1. If a shorter throw feels right, then you want the Mission pedal. If you are handy with electronics, you could convert a cheap dead Crybaby. The circuit would be just like one of @2112's knob box knobs. You could even replace the toe switch with a normally-closed momentary switch if you wanted to.

Took less than that for me to decide I didn't like the spring-loaded one, which I sold to recoup the cost of its non-spring-loaded cousin....

Correct.... Volume block after the amp using a controller.

Give it a shot........seems to work better for swells and easier on your ankle.

I guess you could raise your off value and not need the whole sweep.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 2.21.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Correct.... Volume block after the amp using a controller.

Give it a shot........seems to work better for swells and easier on your ankle.
Will try it. I mostly use volume as an on/off with fade in/out capability, after the amp/cab, using a dedicated EC2 controller. #1 priority for me is being in control of muting or fading the sound.... :)

Also, you can change taper for the 0-10 knob, which should give a similar response if set to linear.

I am building a board on Pedaltrain Classic 1. I must say it feels weird having a wah on an angled board. I put the 3M bumper on the toe side and it still feels weird. Maybe i should try putting the bumper on the heal side, but it feels much more natural with a wah flat on the floor. Does anyone use wah on the pedaltrain board?

I do like the spring idea........ as I always find mine in positions other than my base heel down! :oops:

Maybe if I switch to toe down I won't be bumping it.

Last edited:
Had Mission spring loaded worked great felt like any Dunlop wah.
Started using an EV-1, it did take a little bit getting use to using it as a wah. However for me at least; allot easier to finesse. Allot easier to park the wah.

Did the same thing with both my EV-1's and EV-2's. Now, I'm all EV-2. I'm not sure what makes these things so special, but they just park and stay put perfectly.

I have an issue with calibrating the pedal as i limit the range at the heel. Now it has a shorter travel and i went to recalibrate it. I enter the calibration, move the pedal back and forth a couple times, see the dot move and press enter to save. After this procedure i still see the pedal does not reach the zero ( i limited the heel side) When assigning the modifier.

Back
Top Bottom