Using Ernie Ball Jr as expression pedal with AX-8

kasper_kp

Hi, guys!

I have an old Ernie Ball Jr volume pedal lying around, and got the idea of connecting it to one of the AX-8 expression in's using a TRS Y-cable. Do any of you have experience with this, and are there things I have to know about, fx as to not put unnecessary strain on any AX-8 components?

Thanks in advance! :)

Yup! used two of them in this manner for over ten years with Axe FX and now with AX8, The taper isn't linear but it's really not that noticeable/you get used to it unless you are overly sensitive.

There is a conversion kit that alows you to change out the pot to a linear one. If you have one laying around, personally I think it's a good alternative if you are strapped for cash or just haven't made up your mind yet as to which one you want to work with!

Here's a link to post your rig I have sense gone to a dB Instruments 4E, Which so far I like a lot. Hooking it up is pretty much straight forward nothing really to worry about.

Last edited:
I have essentially zero electrical skills and I easily modded 2 of them to have a linear taper pot. Cost like $10 in parts. Honestly the hardest part is just reattaching the string, but then I got the idea to make a little tool out of a heavy duty paper clip and even that was easy.

It can work "okay" without a mod, but its a volume pedal so its got an audio taper pot, which isn't really what you want in an expression pedal, you want a linear taper, but as I said, super easy. When I had mine apart I hit them with some black spraypaint and they turned out great.

Bought them used and with scratchy pots, so dirt cheap, probably cost about $35 total including parts. Can't beat the value

Works fine. That’s what I used when I first got my AX8 cause I had them lying around.

Fine and good are two different things though.....

Check how the values change as you sweep the pedal with its audio taper, its not linear. That can indeed work "fine" if your using the exp pedal to control a volume block, and in fact I set my taper type to audio or log taper for that purpose, but if your doing things like filters, delay mix, etc, you want to be able to have a linear relationship between the movement range of the pedal and the movement of the virtual knob parameter its adjusting. I'm not sure if there is a reverse log taper setting which might help give a more linear sweep to an audio taper pot, but that would at least give a bit more consistent control across the sweep range.

To each his own of course, its not hurting anything using it as is, but (IMO) if you've got a high end modeler, costing $1100, I'd want to have the most consistent and versatile inputs possible, thus why I change to the "proper" linear taper pot for an expression pedal

Fine and good are two different things though.....

Check how the values change as you sweep the pedal with its audio taper, its not linear. That can indeed work "fine" if your using the exp pedal to control a volume block, and in fact I set my taper type to audio or log taper for that purpose, but if your doing things like filters, delay mix, etc, you want to be able to have a linear relationship between the movement range of the pedal and the movement of the virtual knob parameter its adjusting. I'm not sure if there is a reverse log taper setting which might help give a more linear sweep to an audio taper pot, but that would at least give a bit more consistent control across the sweep range.

To each his own of course, its not hurting anything using it as is, but (IMO) if you've got a high end modeler, costing $1100, I'd want to have the most consistent and versatile inputs possible, thus why I change to the "proper" linear taper pot for an expression pedal
Agreed. Like I said I used one when I first got my AX8 cause I had one lying around but I quickly went to something else. My personal preference are the Misssion models mainly because they feel and look like a Crybaby pedal. But I just use them for volume and wah. If I needed them for delay mixes etc. I would got for the Fractal pedals.

I have two of them, love them, the size and the sweep. But I do recommend changing the pots to linear. Its a quick DIY project with a proper taper and TRS jack. Most painful is the #@&% spring that needs to be re-attached.

I use an EB JR as a dedicated volume pedal, and an mission SP something or other as my exp; I like having the built in switch to turn wah on/off as i did in the old days. :)

I did change my EB JR to a linear pot, which sort of seems a little pointless given that I'm applying a log curve to that controller for use as a volume pedal. :-D

I did change my EB JR to a linear pot, which sort of seems a little pointless given that I'm applying a log curve to that controller for use as a volume pedal. :-D

I was actually thinking if it would be possible to change to curve for the Ernie Ball in the Ax-8, so that I can get a linear response without changing the pot? It sounds like what you did, only the other way around, right?

Back
Top Bottom