Using compressor as a limiter

tysonlt

Power User
I read in another forum that Cliff said the comp was designed to be used as a limiter with max ratio and detector type set to peak.

We are going to experiment with IEM (shure 215) just coming out of the headphone jack and I want to pop a limiter on there. I will bring my buddy in through input 3 and shunt him to output 1.

1) is this a stupid idea? I like my ears and want to keep them.

2) Is there any type of comp best for this? I tried with Studio FF 1 and it seemed fine... but I don't know much about the different types.

Your in-ears probably already have some compansion going on.

If you want to try a limiter, I like your pick of the FF1 compressor. I'd use high threshold, high ratio, fast attack, fast release, some look-ahead time, and a hard or med-hard knee.

Thanks folks, I did find that thread which was very useful but didn’t want to hijack it.

At the moment I just have (or will have by tomorrow) the Shure SE215 earbuds, not a full IEM system. We want to see how we go with them before taking the plunge with wireless- or maybe just stick with wired.

I saw Cliff said that a clipper would sound terrible, but that’s ok - it would only ever be on output 1 to the ears. Output 2 to PA would be unaffected. This is more to protect against pops and feedback etc.

This is more to protect against pops and feedback etc.
You are looking for more of a true peak limiter in that case. Not sure that the Axe can do that, but as another suggested high threshold, highest ratio, fast attack and release with some lookahead would be the closest thing.

Thanks, yeah the goal is that it doesn't trip during normal operation so I don't mind how it sounds when it does. I'll go with 30ms perhaps.

With look ahead, I might try 3ms just to ensure nothing gets through, shouldn't be a noticeable lag.

Well, testing has shown that it didn't really work... I switch to a lead amp, and when the axe went into hard red, it hurt! Back to the drawing board...

Back
Top Bottom