Using Cab sims to 'Fine-Tune" Backline Sound?

Hugomack

Experienced
When using an amp and guitar cab for backline, we don't usually use a cab sim as the signal is going through a real cab. There's a considerable debate over types of amp and speakers to use for backline sound from the Axe.

With 6-string guitar, I use a sim of my backline speakers to the FOH to make it sound as near to the backline sound as possible. But have members experimented with using cab sim combinations before the FX Loop, to adjust their backline sound? This would be cheaper than buying (for example) Austin SpeakerWorks KT-70s. The EVMs I'm using do have a wide freq range, so a little light cab simulation might help...? As backline sound is what spurs us on to play well, this could be interesting.

This is primarily a question for guitar speaker cab people, but on the other hand maybe the FRFR guys play around with the possibilities as well? (I hope so!)

Maybe a close parallel - I have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60, essentially a powered guitar cab that is not FR. Without speaker sims, it's thin and wimpy, so I have found some cab combinations that work really well. Even back when I ran though the FX return of my Mesa F30 (with upgraded Guytron speaker), it sounded better with a speaker sim running. To me, speaker sims are just another line of EQ available for sound tailoring and at your option/command.

BTW, what's a 334? A Gibson of some sort, I presume? I know there are variations of the 335, but haven't heard of that one - I'm far from being in that loop, however.

I use cab sims to EQ when I'm playing bass: through two 2x12s loaded with JBL E120's (seriously heavy...). A 15 inch cab for really deep, or a 4x10 for punchy - but it's On/Off.

Including a wet/dry mix control to cabs might be useful for fine tuning that on-stage sound...?

Back
Top Bottom