Using Axe's EQ in the loop of a real Mark amp (IIC+ in this case)

Tiger1016

Inspired
I am looking to see if anyone has any tips or tricks for using the Axe Fx III's vast EQ options with a Mesa Mark series amp, either in the loop or in between the preamp output and power amp input. I am partuicularily looking for help on setting levels to make this work as good as possible.

I just scored a dream amp of mine, a Mark IIC+, but it is a HX version so it does not have the all important 5 band GEQ. My hope is to be able to finagle a good alternative EQ replacement using the Axe (I might us one of the parametric EQs instead of the Mark 5 band GEQ that is also available in eq block. The video at the end here is what gave me enough motivation to take the plunge and try to find something that works for me. I have owned a Mark V and basically just use the IIC+ and IV models in the Axe, so I know all about dialing this thing in.

Option #1 (EQ in the loop)
My signal chain using the loop would be as follows. I am new on trying to figure out the leveling for the underlined parts.

Guitar > Axe instrument input > Axe loop 1 send to IIC instrument input > IIC loop send to Axe loop 1 return > EQ in the Axe > Axe loop 2 send to IIC loop return > IIC speaker output to loadbox > loadbox to Axe loop 2 return > IR in the Axe > Output 1 in the Axe and done

Option #2 (EQ in between the preamp output and power amp input)
Apparently could also place the EQ in between the preamp output and the power amp input on the IIC+.

I don't know what the technical differences would be with this yet or if the results will be more preferable than using the loop. That is probably a question for a different forum, but I figured I would throw it into this discussion to see if anyone had any thoughts on this alternative.

The routing for this option would look like the following, and I am curious what I might need to do different regarding setting levels for this approach too.

Guitar > Axe instrument input > Axe loop 1 send to IIC instrument input > IIC preamp output to Axe loop 1 return > EQ in the Axe > Axe loop 2 send to IIC power amp input > IIC speaker output to loadbox > loadbox to Axe loop 2 return > IR in the Axe > Output 1 in the Axe and done

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom