Using AxeFx in rehearsal studio

Justmc

Inspired
I love my Axefx which I use at home through some powered monitors. Where I normally rehearse with a band I use an SLA-2 to power some EV SX300 FRFR speakers with great results.

I am now going to a rehearsal studio to play with a different band. Not recording . I told some of the members about my set up and was hoping to plug into the mixing board in the room. The vocalist is concerned that I might be screwing him up come through the studio PA system. I really don't want to make too big a deal trying to get the studios sound guy to give me a good mix via monitors or the main PA and I don't need the vocalist complaining also.

Should I just send my amplified signal to a guitar cabinet in the room with cabinet simulation bypassed. I really got my Ir's and EQ set up for my FRFR set up and would prefer not setting up new patches for this occasion. Another option is just not use the Axefx at all and go to old school guitar amp and cabinet. Was hoping to show off my new gear and and keep my life simpler at the same time. Any feedback and or experience would be greatly appreciated .

I'll tell you just my experience:

My first attempt to use my new Axe-FX in the rehersal room was using it with in-ears, going out to the rehersal room p.a. and mixing the guitar sound on the monitors for the singers/Keyboards (drummer uses in-ears anyway and gets guitar in his signal already).

The keyboarders comment: "Sounds very authentic", the singers comment: "No guitar on my wedge, please!"

So I used an FRFR active wedge to throw the sound into the room. The singers comment: "Can't you make it sound, as it was in the good old days?"

I liked the FRFR sound very much (direct and cristal sharp and clean), but it sounded all over the room as if you stood directly beside the cabinet. That was, what they weren't used to.

In the end I gave in and used the fx-loop to split the signal before the cab sim. This signal goes into a Marshall poweramp and into my old guitar cabs. I make use of the master eqs out1/2 to balance the sound a little different on every output. Now everyone is happy.

While we rehearse I hear my cabs (good sound) and on stage I use one cab as monitor for my singers (they can say how loud it has to be) and for my monitoring I use the direct sound via in-ear (sound good too).

Joerg

I'll offer some thoughts of my own.

If you have your setup fully developed and are confident of the appropriateness of the sounds you are producing, I recommend you go with your preference as opposed to giving in to the prejudices of those who are unfamiliar with what is possible. If your preferred rig is FRFR, then use it, including bringing your own monitor. If you end up rehearsing with the new group on a steady basis, you can gradually work toward using the PA in the rehearsal studio.

My present trio rehearses in a rented studio which comes with a complete, if somewhat unremarkable, PA. For our first few rehearsals, I only used my monitor, so as to avoid wasting the other players' time while I tweaked the PA. The last three rehearsals, I've used my monitor and the PA along with my W/D/W presets. The other two guys freaked out at how good it sounds, and they wondered why I hadn't done that earlier.

The last three rehearsals, I've used my monitor and the PA along with my W/D/W presets. The other two guys freaked out at how good it sounds, and they wondered why I hadn't done that earlier.

Interesting point of view. So you're running your monitor dry and the P.A. W/W?

Sorry for the offtopic, but Jay, how are you routing the signal to do this FRFR W/D/W?
The dry signal goes to output 1 left. This signal contains the output of cab, amp, drive, compression, wah, and any EQ I have in the chain. From the row that feeds output 1, the last element is the feedback send, and the return feeds another row that is terminated with the effects loop (output 2). This chain contains delay, reverb, pitch shift, enancer, flange, chorus, etc.

The dry signal goes to output 1 left. This signal contains the output of cab, amp, drive, compression, wah, and any EQ I have in the chain. From the row that feeds output 1, the last element is the feedback send, and the return feeds another row that is terminated with the effects loop (output 2). This chain contains delay, reverb, pitch shift, enancer, flange, chorus, etc.

Ok, I'll try it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom