Using Axe-II with real cabs - looking for improvements

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I run my Axe via the Matrix GT1000 into a stacked pair of Zilla vertical cabs (each one loaded with a V30 and a CL80). I'm reasonably happy with this setup but I do find that many of the high gain models tend to sound very similar with not a lot of string separation. As a result, I gravitate almost exclusively to the Euro Uber and Cameron C2/Atomica for nearly everything. I wonder if my cabs might be causing some of the models to lose definition. I'd be interested to know other users' experiences with different cabs and speakers, as I'd like to check out possible alternatives.

i use a very similar setup to you axe 2 > matrix 1000 > splawn 4x12
i run my rig in mono. my splawn 4x12 has 2 v30's and 2 splawn "small blocks" (Modeled On: Celestion G12-65)

my guitars are a mix of strats with dimarzio BC pickups and custom lp style guitars with alnico bareknuckle nailbombs.

when i first setup up my rig i too wasnt totally happy with definition and string seperation. I also thought about trying different cabs / speakers. but in the end what i did was make a kind of weird "mish mash" of settings for my main rhythm patch. i use the Herbie CH3 amp, but i have the advanced amp settings configured the same was as the "Djentelmanly" patch. I also have the noise gate set at around 70% threshold and my gain is set at 3.5

I have amazing clarity, punch, definition and crunch now. I also have my global EQ setup to boost a little bit of the mids and high-mids and take away some subs.

I reckon you should tweak the advanced settings and EQ a bit. You should be able to get awesome clarity and note definition even with a super high gain amp patch in the axe fx.

I reckon you should tweak the advanced settings and EQ a bit. You should be able to get awesome clarity and note definition even with a super high gain amp patch in the axe fx.

My Euro Uber patches work pretty well, but as I say I end up using it for everything from Zep to Metallica. I would like to get more mileage out of the other models. And I have played with all the parameters until I'm blue in the face. I find turning down the XFRMR Match parameter often helps but on many amp models it seems to do nothing. In any case, I appreciate your input but I'm really interested in finding out what speakers and cabs other people are using so I can look at alternatives to my setup.

Last edited:
I use a Stagecraft 2x12 loaded with Scumback M75LHDCs. Works great for classic rock to higher gain. Keep in mind that the highest gain we play is along the lines of Seether/Sick Puppies - not exactly death metal.

Back
Top Bottom