Using Axe-Fx to produce bass and guitar tones on an 8 string guitar.

William Smith

I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd start by reaching out to avid users.

I plan on buying Axe-Fx in the near future for live gigs and I plan on playing my 8 string like a bass and switching to guitar leads and atmospheres with the current material we have. I feel like from what I've looked up, I feel it could be a perfect piece to the rig I'm building to give the versatility to produce my desired needs. What I'm asking for is anyone's insight on going about making this work or anyone else's experiences with this kind of method. The closest thing I have to reference off of is Tosin from Animals As Leaders, but even his bass tones are a little too clean compared to what I've produced on my recordings.

I'm posting a instrumental clip of our song Surfacing to give an example:

Thanks to anyone who reads this and gives advice!

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
You could even go as far as using pitch to control (and therefore define) which signal path to take - for example, you could send low notes to an signal path that has a drive block, to an ampeg SVT to an 8X10 cab, while the high notes could be routed to an EVH with a 4X12 cab.
I should point out that I have not done this, but it's sure feasable. You get yourself an AXE FX III and you'll kick yourself for the time it took to get one.
Oh - and welcome!
Thanks
Pauly

Hi Bill,
You could even go as far as using pitch to control (and therefore define) which signal path to take - for example, you could send low notes to an signal path that has a drive block, to an ampeg SVT to an 8X10 cab, while the high notes could be routed to an EVH with a 4X12 cab.
I should point out that I have not done this, but it's sure feasable. You get yourself an AXE FX III and you'll kick yourself for the time it took to get one.
Oh - and welcome!
Thanks
Pauly

Thanks for the feed back, it's greatly appreciated! I never thought about routing 2 cabs. I currently have a Peavey VB810 full bass cab from my bass days before switching to 8 string guitar. I always loved the Ampeg SVT tone that Les Claypool from Primus used for years. I honestly can't wait to get Axe-Fx and learn all the capabilities that come with it. As for Axe-FX III, I don't know if I'm go and buy their flagship model but maybe the II XL+.

If I may offer some advice - pay the money and get the three- you think of the money when you hand it over - the rest of the time you play with what you bought. Don't get me wrong...the Ii is awesome and the second best modeller on the planet - but the iii is way better.
Do you miss the money you paid for your best shoes, car, motorcycle? Hell we hardly even remeber the cost a few years down the track.
Anyhoo - let us know how you go.
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom