Using Axe-FX III with Tube Amp and Universal Audio Ox

deakle

Experienced
So I splurged and bought myself a Universal Audio Ox. Awesome piece of gear! I have a few tube amps I keep around just because I still like to fool around with them, one being a 1965 Fender Bandmaster. What would be a proper way to use my Axe-FX III with a tube amp and my UA Ox? I would assume I would plug the guitar into the Axe III, out of the Axe to my tube amp, out of the Ox and back into the Axe III. I believe this way, I can insert effects both before and after my tube amp. Does this sound logical/proper? Any other methods I should consider? Anyone else using an Ox?

I do that exact setup with my reactive load box (Fryette Power Load). It works well and does indeed allow you to treat the amp just like an amp block in the Axe-FX. I don't use this setup very often because the models sound amazing but it is nice to have another tool on the shelf especially if you have an amp that is not already featured in the Axe.

Last edited:
I’m not planning on doing this, but had a question/concern. I’m assuming you’re using one of the audio outs of the Ox (and not the speaker out) to go back to the Axe Fx using a return. Is it then going back to the same power amp before going, via the Ox speaker output, to your physical speaker cab?

It seems to me that would create a potential feedback loop, or odd oscillation due to the latency, however slight, of the signal making a second loop through the amp.

Absolutely guessing here, as I have no experience setting it up this way. I do have an Ox Box that I love using with my tube amps, and an Axe FX III, though I don’t have a need to combine the Axe FX and other amps (using a CLR for amplification). Just curious!

I’m not planning on doing this, but had a question/concern. I’m assuming you’re using one of the audio outs of the Ox (and not the speaker out) to go back to the Axe Fx using a return. Is it then going back to the same power amp before going, via the Ox speaker output, to your physical speaker cab?

It seems to me that would create a potential feedback loop, or odd oscillation due to the latency, however slight, of the signal making a second loop through the amp.

Absolutely guessing here, as I have no experience setting it up this way. I do have an Ox Box that I love using with my tube amps, and an Axe FX III, though I don’t have a need to combine the Axe FX and other amps (using a CLR for amplification). Just curious!
Well, I am just using headphone outs as I am playing in my bedroom and don't want to alarm the neighbors, but you bring up a very good point which I will check out. My reason for using the Axe with my tube amps was for it's effects as I have gotten rid of my effects pedals when I got the Axe. Curious, do you use pedals with your tube amps then? I was considering an Eventide H9 to use with my tube amp as a multi effect but thought the Axe might save me from purchasing that.

[edit: apparently this won't work because of mismatched sample rates, my point about the H9 stands}
While you won't be able to put effects in front of the amp, you could do Amp->Ox spidf out -> Ax spdif in ->headphones. That way you get the amp getting hit directly by the guitar, all the gain from the amp, cab sims from the OX, and fun effects in stereo from the AX without redundant AD/DA conversion happening.

Re: H9, while I still use them for my acoustic rig and as supplementary effects for my AX, they are not transparent.

Last edited:
While you won't be able to put effects in front of the amp, you could do Amp->Ox spidf out -> Ax spdif in ->headphones. That way you get the amp getting hit directly by the guitar, all the gain from the amp, cab sims from the OX, and fun effects in stereo from the AX without redundant AD/DA conversion happening.

Re: H9, while I still use them for my acoustic rig and as supplementary effects for my AX, they are not transparent.
That will not work correctly because the Ox has a 44.1kHz sample rate and the Axe has a 48 kHz sample rate.

If you want to plug your guitar straight into your tube amp:

Physical cables you'll need:
1. Guitar -> Tube amp input
2. Tube Amp Speaker Out -> Ox amp input
3. Ox line out -> Axe-FX Input 4
4. Axe-Fx Output 1 -> your audio system setup, whatever that may be, or guitar poweramp -> guitar cabs if you're not using IR's

In the Axe's grid:
[Input 4 block] --- [post-tube-amp-effects] --- [Output 1 block]

If you want to plug your guitar straight into the Axe-Fx for effects before and after your tube amp:

1. Guitar -> Axe-Fx Instrument input
2. Axe-Fx Output 4 -> Tube amp input
3. Tube Amp Speaker Out -> Ox amp input
4. Ox line out -> Axe-FX Input 4
5. Axe-Fx Output 1 -> your audio system setup, whatever that may be, or guitar poweramp -> guitar cabs if you're not using IR's

In the Axe's grid:
[Input 1 block] --- [pre-tube-amp-effects] --- [Output 4 block] ( < don't link these two blocks > ) [Input 4 block] --- [post-tube-amp-effects] --- [Output 1 block]

Note:
I always use the "Output 4 / Input 4" loop as my reactive load loop because Outputs 3 and 4 operate at unity gain. Makes things easier.

Last edited:

4. Axe-Fx Output 1 -> your audio system setup, whatever that may be, or guitar poweramp -> guitar cabs if you're not using IR's

In the Axe's grid:

If you want to plug your guitar straight into the Axe-Fx for effects before and after your tube amp:

5. Axe-Fx Output 1 -> your audio system setup, whatever that may be, or guitar poweramp -> guitar cabs if you're not using IR's

In the Axe's grid:
[Input 1 block] --- [pre-tube-amp-effects] --- [Output 4 block] ( < don't link these two blocks > ) [Input 4 block] --- [post-tube-amp-effects] --- [Output 1 block]

Note:
I always use the "Output 4 / Input 4" loop as my reactive load loop because Outputs 3 and 4 operate at unity gain. Makes things easier.

This.

I would only add that if you want some effects between your amps preamp stage and the power amp + speaker, don’t forget that you can also put the Axe in your amp’s FX loop. Lots of flexibility here.

Enjoy!!!

In the Axe's grid:

In the Axe's grid:

Note:
When you use output 4, do you have to turn the front output 4 volume knob to max?

I don't own an Ox, but this is my preset that I use with my Captor X. JP2C connected in 4CM. The Captor line out goes to Input 2 on the Axe. If I want to go through my physical 4x12 Recto cab, I just disable the In 2 block. I can also opt to shut off cab simulation in the Captor and use Cab blocks in the Axe. Very flexible.
Screenshot 2023-03-16 094032.png

When you use output 4, do you have to turn the front output 4 volume knob to max?

I supposed you don't "have to" but I do, yes. Setting Output 4 at max means it's outputting at unity gain, so exactly what comes in is exactly what goes out, which I find to be the most accurate way to do things.

Put the amp and ox in a loop of the Axe just like you'd put any other external hardware in a loop. For me it makes sense to use the same input/output numbers for a loop i.e. out3 > in3, or out4 > in4.

What I do is run guitar > AFX3 > into front of my VOX AC-10 > then out of the VOX into my Ox > TosLINK to UA X2 > MacBook.

This addresses the sample rate issue as the X2 can pick the right sample rate or rather you can specify it. I also run an FX loop out of the AFX3 so that I have pedals wherever I want them in the scene. Works fantastically.

What I do is run guitar > AFX3 > into front of my VOX AC-10 > then out of the VOX into my Ox > TosLINK to UA X2 > MacBook.

This addresses the sample rate issue as the X2 can pick the right sample rate or rather you can specify it. I also run an FX loop out of the AFX3 so that I have pedals wherever I want them in the scene. Works fantastically.
Hi bxlgotham could you please post a screenshot of your Axe Edit block setup i'm very interested in your setup.

Back
Top Bottom