Using Axe-Fx III with a real amp

Shaw

Inspired
To my ears, the AxeIII amp models sound fantastic. I just have a bit of a sentimental attachment to some amps and still enjoy playing them. I’m wondering if anyone else is doing this.

If so, I’m wondering if how you guys are routing things... are you going from the guitar to the amp then to the AxeIII? or from the guitar to the AxeIII then to your amp so that you can use effects in the AxeIII that would normally come before the app (drive, compressor, phaser, etc)?

My currently signal chain is Guitar — Amp — X-Load — AxeIII (inside which the signal chain is IN4 — cab — any effects).

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Thanks for the responses.
I figured this was a "no-brainer", but also thought I would ask in case there were something I needed to consider before proceeding. Awesome! and Thanks!

I would guess it is dependent on what you want to do.

If you're not using the X-Load then I would think the classic 4 Cable Method (4CM) is how you'd achieve similar results.

X-Load all the way. I love that thing! It is dead silent -- that's a rarity in good load boxes. Couldn't recommend it enough to anyone looking for a load box.
I must make sure to have my coffee before posting, as I totally missed that in your OP ;)

there are a crapload of options to incorporate your beloved toobs and Valves..Cliff 's
method is the one I use also, can be modified to your heart' s content..I use In/Out 3, feel free to change!View attachment 53725 .

If you have any time to explain that preset to me, I would much appreciate it....
It looks like there would be a guitar coming into input 1 and another guitar into input 3? then they both go out input 1 but how does input 3 get to output 3 when it is behind it in the signal chain...
I can't seem to get my mind around that type of chain.

I do understand if it is to much to explain though.

If you have any time to explain that preset to me, I would much appreciate it....
It looks like there would be a guitar coming into input 1 and another guitar into input 3? then they both go out input 1 but how does input 3 get to output 3 when it is behind it in the signal chain...

Guitar in1 , out3 -> real amp + xload -> in3

Guitar in1 , out3 -> real amp + xload -> in3

What Hubertus said is it....the flexibility of the routing can look daunting, but unleashes the full power of scenes/channels/etc. Important to understand when using the OUT/INS in this and other FX loop situations on the III that they do not need to , nor should they be shunted to each other in most cases..but placed where they are most effective in creating your signal chain....

The manual has diagrams for several options, including the 4cm, it’s really helpful.

Mesa amps have the CabClone out, most effects loops are typically line level output. A load box like the xload will sound the best.

Thanks guys...I think I have it sauced now, I mostly use a couple of FRFR's and a tube combo in a W/D/W sort of configuration with the output for the combo coming after my pre amp effects...I was just curious how that all worked and now it is clear...you don't actually need a wire (shunt) to connect like you would in the physical world.

I do this with a Marshall JVM 410 HJS.

Actually I do this and more. I can flip between 4CM using my JVM, full FRFR using a XiTone MBritt Active speaker, or a hybrid using the Axe as the preamp and the JVM power amp and cabinet simply by how I design my presets.

Changing presets is all I have to do to use different configs.

I could also create presets that would use the JVM as the preamp, the Axe for cab modelling and the XITone for amplification. Never done this, but it is an option.

My connections are:

Guitar -> Axe FX Input 1
Axe FX Output 3 -> JVM Instrument Input
JVM FX Send -> Axe FX Input 4
Axe FX Output 4 -> JVM FX Return
Axe FX Output 1 -> XiTone MBritt

Once you have the connections established you can build presets to use any of the i/o connections in any way you see fit. Very flexible.

When hooking an amp into your signal chain like this set output 3 to unity gain, and Input 4 Input Mode to “Left Only”. Use humbuster cables on Output 3 and Output 4.

Last edited:

Actually I do this and more. I can flip between 4CM using my JVM, full FRFR using a XiTone MBritt Active speaker, or a hybrid using the Axe as the preamp and the JVM power amp and cabinet simply by how I design my presets.

I could also create presets that would use the JVM as the preamp, the Axe for cab modelling and the XITone for amplification. Never done this, but it is an option.

My connections are:

Guitar -> Axe FX Input 1

Once you have the connections established you can build presets to use any of the i/o connections in any way you see fit. Very flexible.

When hooking an amp into your signal chain like this set output 3 to unity gain, and Input 4 Input Mode to “Left Only”. Use humbuster cables on Output 3 and Output 4.

...That's just nasty Captain....I will have to try that...!

My connections are:

Guitar -> Axe FX Input 1

Hey Captain....I tried this setup and have my pre amp effects going to my Archon 25 tube amp just fine but I can't figure out how to get any effects to work in the effect loop....any chance you could post a preset that uses both pre and post effects headed to the tube amp?

That might get me started down the right path.

Cheers,
Ken

Hey Ken,

On the Archon make sure you have turned on the effect loop. My son has an Archon and we fell into that trap.

I currently do not have a working PC so no Axe Edit and no preset export. Only running an iPad and iPhone at the moment. Getting ready to replace my old laptop, but have not been in a huge rush to do so.

I am at work now, but will describe a preset when I get home tonight.

Hey Ken,

On the Archon make sure you have turned on the effect loop. My son has an Archon and we fell into that trap.

I currently do not have a working PC so no Axe Edit and no preset export. Only running an iPad and iPhone at the moment. Getting ready to replace my old laptop, but have not been in a huge rush to do so.

I am at work now, but will describe a preset when I get home tonight.

I totally forgot about the footswitch enabled effect loop, it's the first time I have used it!....that was my main problem alright...I should be good to go from here!

Thanks again,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom