Using Axe-Fx III with a real amp

The FX loop on the Archon is a noisy little SOB. There is a mod you can do to the FX loop ground that will improve the noise floor significantly.

Humbuster cables are a must in my experience.

Also ensure that the gate on both input blocks in your preset are set to “Intelligent” then adjust the threshold to lower your noise floor. Setting the boost pad on the output to the front of the amp also helps to lower the noise floor. You can literally hear the noise floor drop as you increase these settings.

To my ears, the AxeIII amp models sound fantastic. I just have a bit of a sentimental attachment to some amps and still enjoy playing them. I’m wondering if anyone else is doing this.

If so, I’m wondering if how you guys are routing things... are you going from the guitar to the amp then to the AxeIII? or from the guitar to the AxeIII then to your amp so that you can use effects in the AxeIII that would normally come before the app (drive, compressor, phaser, etc)?

My currently signal chain is Guitar — Amp — X-Load — AxeIII (inside which the signal chain is IN4 — cab — any effects).

Thanks in advance for the responses.
I’ve been using my Peavey and one of my Marshall amps. And it sounds awesome

The FX loop on the Archon is a noisy little SOB. There is a mod you can do to the FX loop ground that will improve the noise floor significantly.

Humbuster cables are a must in my experience.

Also ensure that the gate on both input blocks in your preset are set to “Intelligent” then adjust the threshold to lower your noise floor. Setting the boost pad on the output to the front of the amp also helps to lower the noise floor. You can literally hear the noise floor drop as you increase these settings.

I must of got a "lucky one" then....I only have one humbuster cable so the other output cable is just a 2' standard 1/4 inch and there is definitely some noise but it is only noticeable at very low volumes and doesn't increase as I up the volume.

Maybe they have fixed that issue somewhat...anyway it is livable as is and one more humbuster cable should help it out some more.

I can't thank you enough for the help though...! This is really opening up some delicious new tones for me!

Cheers,
Ken

Hi, I revive this thread because I have an x-load LB2 on the way.

Just wondering which type of cable do you use for "LB2 > input 4" and "axe fx III output 4 > amp" ?

Régular guitar cable ? patch cable ?

tapx

Hi All,

Can someone help me with possibilities to integrate/use the AxeFx3 and my Mesa Mark V 90W Combo in following scenarios:

1. Mark V Combo using AxeFx3 for effects (mostly time based) only...I would also have two Mesa 1x12 extension cabs connected to the combo
2. AxeFx 3 with a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 (stereo SS power amp) with outputs of the SS amp to power my individual Mesa Cabs PLUS an output to drive an (active) Xitone FRFR Wedge
3. Ability to switch between scenarios 1 and 2 above without pulling cables in/out manually

Trying to figure out if I need something like an X-Load and switcher (e.g. Radial device)

Thanks!

Vinny

Searching infos about this, so plug-in the x load or whatever load box in the front input 1 is not recommended so ? Better doing a loop? If you don’t care of boost before the amp you can plug a loadbox in input 1?

Searching infos about this, so plug-in the x load or whatever load box in the front input 1 is not recommended so ? Better doing a loop? If you don’t care of boost before the amp you can plug a loadbox in input 1?
Search my recent (last month give or take?) posts about 4CM. I go into some detail on routing that takes the post-4cm signal out to a loadbox/DI and back into the Ax3 for FRFR with screenshots & presets.

Full circle back to this post….. I'm now going guitar - Axe3 - [any pre effects like comp or drive] - Synergy preamps - Axe3 - Amp block [for power amp sim] - cab - more fx.

Love it, love it, love it.

Back
Top Bottom