Using Axe-Fx III as interface to software VST guitar amp/effect sims

rmg471

Hello, all:

I have the Windows (10) ASIO drivers installed on my PC, and I can select the Axe FX III as the input and output channels in my software sim (in this case, Scuffham S-Gear 2.7). I have two issues I can't find a way around, even after trying to gain insight from the manual and basic troubleshooting:
  1. How do I mute the Axe FX III Amp/Cab modeling if I only want to hear what is coming from the PC software? The closest solution I found was going to an empty preset.
  2. The input gain seems to be much lower that when using other dedicated audio interfaces. I went into the I/O menu on the Axe and found where I could adjust gain on the USB channels, but that did not seem to affect the signal that the PC software was seeing.
I find the Axe processing to be much better than the PC-based options, but I had purchased a couple of software suites before purchasing the Axe, and I thought it would be neat to fire them up again.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ryan

How do I mute the Axe FX III Amp/Cab modeling if I only want to hear what is coming from the PC software? The closest solution I found was going to an empty preset.
Seems like you found a solution, what's wrong with going to an empty preset? Or you could mute-bypass a block, or bypass the output block, etc.
The input gain seems to be much lower that when using other dedicated audio interfaces. I went into the I/O menu on the Axe and found where I could adjust gain on the USB channels, but that did not seem to affect the signal that the PC software was seeing.
Set up your input level, manual page 5.

Seems like you found a solution, what's wrong with going to an empty preset? Or you could mute-bypass a block, or bypass the output block, etc.

Set up your input level, manual page 5.
Very good on #1, I wasn't sure if that was the "proper" method.

I turned my input level on the Axe up all the way just now, to where my guitar was spiking red on the front panel, but in S-Gear, the input did not increase virtually at all. It's like I'm barely registering an input signal into the PC, but on the Axe itself, I'm hitting the red. I've checked my Windows settings on the sound device and everything is full up. Would you happen to have any other ideas I could try?

Very good on #1, I wasn't sure if that was the "proper" method.

I turned my input level on the Axe up all the way just now, to where my guitar was spiking red on the front panel, but in S-Gear, the input did not increase virtually at all. It's like I'm barely registering an input signal into the PC, but on the Axe itself, I'm hitting the red. I've checked my Windows settings on the sound device and everything is full up. Would you happen to have any other ideas I could try?
Doh! Sorry, I had a brain fart. The input level setting per page 5 of manual doesn't increase the volume, it optimizes input noise.

You should adjust the input gain on the plug-in. For S-Gear, it has an input level meter and trim control at the bottom.

Doh! Sorry, I had a brain fart. The input level setting per page 5 of manual doesn't increase the volume, it optimizes input noise.

You should adjust the input gain on the plug-in. For S-Gear, it has an input level meter and trim control at the bottom.
You are correct! What I'm seeing is when I max the input level, patches that are supposed to be very distorted and full of sustain are barely crunchy. I have tried another software and duplicated the issue. It's like the input signal coming through USB is about half of what it should be.

If I plug in an old Scarlett 2i2 interface and set the gain on the interface correctly, the two programs register a strong signal and work as expected.

I appreciate your help, @yeky83 . I am going to continue to try and find a way to boost the input signal coming from the usb of the Axe.

You are correct! What I'm seeing is when I max the input level, patches that are supposed to be very distorted and full of sustain are barely crunchy. I have tried another software and duplicated the issue. It's like the input signal coming through USB is about half of what it should be.

If I plug in an old Scarlett 2i2 interface and set the gain on the interface correctly, the two programs register a strong signal and work as expected.

I appreciate your help, @yeky83 . I am going to continue to try and find a way to boost the input signal coming from the usb of the Axe.
A quick way I can think of right now...

Assuming you don't have speakers connected to Output 2, make a preset with just "In1 -> Out2."
In your PC/plugin, instead of Input 5 you're using right now, use Input 3.
Then you can boost the level from the preset.

A quick way I can think of right now...

Assuming you don't have speakers connected to Output 2, make a preset with just "In1 -> Out2."
In your PC/plugin, instead of Input 5 you're using right now, use Input 3.
Then you can boost the level from the preset.
This worked! I would have never thought of using an output as an input. You're the man.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom