Using Axe-Fx 3 w/ another Interface

CudBucket

Inspired
Hey all,

Just beginning to get through the manual and discover my new AFX3. I currently have it connected to my iMac through my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 interface. The Saffire is connected to the iMac via Firewire and the Axe is connected to the Saffire via SPDIF. I also have the Axe connected directly to the iMac via USB for Axe Edit.

For those of you that use the Axe as an interface, do you connect your DAW monitors to it as well? Mine are currently connected to the Saffire. So I assume if I ever used the Axe as the main interface (say for re-amping as per the manual), I'd only be able to monitor via the Axe's headphone jack? Is that correct.

I guess I'm wondering, in general, if any of you are using the Axe as an interface along with another interface, and how you manage that.

Thanks.
Dave

Hey all,

Just beginning to get through the manual and discover my new AFX3. I currently have it connected to my iMac through my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 interface. The Saffire is connected to the iMac via Firewire and the Axe is connected to the Saffire via SPDIF. I also have the Axe connected directly to the iMac via USB for Axe Edit.

For those of you that use the Axe as an interface, do you connect your DAW monitors to it as well? Mine are currently connected to the Saffire. So I assume if I ever used the Axe as the main interface (say for re-amping as per the manual), I'd only be able to monitor via the Axe's headphone jack? Is that correct.

I guess I'm wondering, in general, if any of you are using the Axe as an interface along with another interface, and how you manage that.

Thanks.
Dave
I created an 'Aggregate Interface' so I could use both my Focusrite Scarlett and my Axe at the same time.

MEME2019-11-19-07-29-05.jpg

Last edited:
I had stability problems with using an aggregate interface so I use the Axe-FX in USB mode.

The monitors are still connected to my primary audio interface, an RME UFX+. I just route Output 1 of the Axe-FX to a pair of inputs on the RME and use its internal mixer to just pass the signal straight to its own outputs where the monitors are.

When I am tracking guitars or reamping I set the audio interface in my DAW (either Logic Pro X or Reaper, depending on the project) to the Axe-FX. Once I'm done with the guitar recording I'll switch the interface back the RME. It takes literally 5 seconds to make the switch in the preferences window so it's not much trouble at all. Less trouble than dealing with the quirks of aggregate interfaces, in my opinion.

I had stability problems with using an aggregate interface so I use the Axe-FX in USB mode.

The monitors are still connected to my primary audio interface, an RME UFX+. I just route Output 1 of the Axe-FX to a pair of inputs on the RME and use its internal mixer to just pass the signal straight to its own outputs where the monitors are.

When I am tracking guitars or reamping I set the audio interface in my DAW (either Logic Pro X or Reaper, depending on the project) to the Axe-FX. Once I'm done with the guitar recording I'll switch the interface back the RME. It takes literally 5 seconds to make the switch in the preferences window so it's not much trouble at all. Less trouble than dealing with the quirks of aggregate interfaces, in my opinion.
Yes, I have noted that the quasi-evil nature of the "Aggregate Interface" pops up now and again. I may just go back to using a pair of inputs on my Scarlett for outputs 1L and 1R, route the unamplified guitar out to output 2 and into a different input for reamping, and route the post-amp/cab sound out to input 3, so I can get the raw amp tone and process post in Logic, too, if I want. A new spin on the 4CM, if you will. :D

I have my AXE FX III set up with my 6I6 and it works fine. Even when you use the axe fx as a interface, you will still hear the axe fx through your interface. That is how it works for me at least. I believe there is a setting in the focusrite software that allows you to keeping hearing the axe fx no matter what. I cant remember the name of it though.

Guess it really depends on what the rest of your studio looks like. If the FX III is all you have for an interface, use it. If you already have a great interface with plenty of inputs and want to run projects at 44.1k or some other rate than 48k then there is no harm in taking the analog outputs of the FX III and feeding them to your preamps/interface. Yes, I realize there is an extra D/A and A/D conversion going on, but I challenge anyone to pick it out in a blind A/B/X test.

@LucasLeCompte how much volume do you lose from your studio monitors by running the AxeFx through the Scarlett? I feel like the output on the Scarlett is pretty low. If I do this I find myself turning the monitor knob on the Scarlett all the way up (versus turning my monitors way up and then setting the monitor knob on the Scarlett lower). It just feels better to me if I’m not recording to go direct from the AxeFx to my monitors.

I have my AXE FX III set up with my 6I6 and it works fine. Even when you use the axe fx as a interface, you will still hear the axe fx through your interface. That is how it works for me at least. I believe there is a setting in the focusrite software that allows you to keeping hearing the axe fx no matter what. I cant remember the name of it though.
I'm using a 6i6 too and would like to figure out how to do this without the aggregate device. So are you saying you can route the output of the Axe to the 6i6 with your monitors connected to Scarlett? I can do that with my DAW open using the Axe as an input device and the 6i6 selected for output, but I'd love to be able to do that without having to open Logic.

I'm using a 6i6 too and would like to figure out how to do this without the aggregate device. So are you saying you can route the output of the Axe to the 6i6 with your monitors connected to Scarlett? I can do that with my DAW open using the Axe as an input device and the 6i6 selected for output, but I'd love to be able to do that without having to open Logic.

This is what I'd like to do as well. I want to be able to turn on the axe and just play it through the monitors that are connected to my Saffire 24 PRO. I'm trying to figure out how to route the Axe output through the USB cable to the interface. I can do it with the SPDIF cable connected between the axe and interface but it sounds like I don't need SPDIF for this. Or am I getting it wrong.

This is what I'd like to do as well. I want to be able to turn on the axe and just play it through the monitors that are connected to my Saffire 24 PRO. I'm trying to figure out how to route the Axe output through the USB cable to the interface. I can do it with the SPDIF cable connected between the axe and interface but it sounds like I don't need SPDIF for this. Or am I getting it wrong.
Exactly. I could do it with SPDIF or XLR from the Axe to the 6i6 but I'd rather avoid the extra cables if it's possible via USB.

I think I may not be able to use just the USB connection with the Axe because my interface connects to the iMac via Firewire. There's no USB jack so perhaps I can't route the Axe Output 1 to the interface without SPDIF? I'm looking into it.

I think I may not be able to use just the USB connection with the Axe because my interface connects to the iMac via Firewire. There's no USB jack so perhaps I can't route the Axe Output 1 to the interface without SPDIF? I'm looking into it.
No USB jack on your interface? I'm talking about connecting the Axe to my Mac via USB and being able to route the audio to monitors connected to my USB audio interface (without having to open my DAW).

No USB jack on your interface? I'm talking about connecting the Axe to my Mac via USB and being able to route the audio to monitors connected to my USB audio interface (without having to open my DAW).
Exactly. That's what I'm trying to do except, my interface connects to my mac via Firewire. Looks like I'll need to keep the SPDIF connection from the axe to the interface. My axe is also connected to the mac but via USB. This way I can use it as the interface to my DAW when I need to. The SPDIF will just allow me to use the axe through my monitors without opening the DAW.

I do pretty much the same thing as OP. Makes for super easy DI captures and re-amping. USB from Axe is used only for Axe Edit

Code:
Countryman Type85 DI → Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen → USB → Computer
                         ↓  ↑                           ↑
                        S/PDIF                          ⎮
                         ↓  ↑                           ⎮
                        Axe FX III → USB ───────────────┘

I do pretty much the same thing as OP. Makes for super easy DI captures and re-amping. USB from Axe is used only for Axe Edit

Code:
I guess I'll stick with it this way. Another option is to get a simple monitor controller. I can send the outputs from the Axe and the Interface to it and then select which source to send to the monitors. They can share the monitors this way. It would replace the need for the SPDIF. Just another option.

Code:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Axe USB connection also serve to allow you to select the Axe as the interface when re-amping?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Axe USB connection also serve to allow you to select the Axe as the interface when re-amping?

Technically, yeah. This setup works for me though as I can use all of the other inputs of my interface without changing around my audio device settings. Gives me a bit more flexibility as the AxeFX is just another piece of my studio rather than the central interface (for example, I can jam on a guitar plugin without powering up the Axe if I want).

Back
Top Bottom