Using Axe Fx 2 with Audient I4 audio interface and Cubase 9.5 on PC.

Tbone2112

Hi,

I do not usually ask technical questions when it comes to audio gear, software, etc because most of the time if you do a google search you will find someone else who is having the same problems your having so you can resolve your own technical challenges.. However, I am a middle age musician, I do not have as much time as to learn as I did when I was younger and I want to make music. I work a day 60 hour a week job so the only time I get to work on music/recording etc is the weekends and some on weeknights. I do not know other guitarists locally who own the Axe Fx 2 XL+ so nobody can run over and help. Guitar Center guys do not know about this processor so that is another dead end. My specs are PC I7 4770 with 32 gigs of ram and Windows 7 pro 64 as my computer, my daw is Cubase 9.5 and my new audio interface is the Audient I4 ( which I need for vocals and some acoustic guitar stuff)

I am a true novice when it comes to recording but trying to become professional a day at a time.

SOME THINGS TO KNOW: 1. The Audient I4 audio interface( It runs on USB power only, lacks spidif and has only a couple of inputs but has a high end preamp and good converters.) I just purchased Cubase 9.5 a month ago. For almost three years the Axe Fx 2 XL+ has been my only audio interface until I needed a way to record vocals.

I am going to try to be very clear on the point of being redundant so as to not leave any information out and in hopes some wizard on here who has this stuff down ( Mark Day can you hear me brother) can save me from having to run two seperate audio interfaces (one for the my vocals and the other for the Axe FX XL +.)

THE BEGINING: I purchased the Axe Fx 2 XL + in the summer of 2015. Back then I had a Focusrite Saffire DSP 24 that I ran my audio through. At the time my DAW was Reaper , I tried off that bad using the Focusrite Saffire DSP 24 (which ran on firewire and not usb) with the Axe Fx 2 XL + via USB when I first received my guitar processor and though I could hear and find the Axe Fx in my DAW Reaper via its USB connection to my PC, the latency was too much even with buffer settings.

Because latency was so bad I had to switch to the Axe Fx 2 XL 2 + as my only audio interface and that was a loss for me because I liked recording my Tube amps via , a Suhr Reactive load and impulses.
I do not need to reamp at this time but I need to be able to not have the Axe as my audio interface.

Anyway, I digress, If I use the Audient I4 as my interface with Cubase 9.5 pro it does not see the Axe Fx, In Cubase the audio choices are Audient I4 drivers, FAS Fractal drivers, and Generic Asio Driver. I do not know if I need Asio4all as my driver etc , because I would think via USB the Axe FX 2 XL + should be showing up and available to be recording even if it is not the audio interface because I have USB hub and everything else... If you know what I need to do have my Audient I4 as my interface with the Axe Fx 2 XL + as my guitar interface via USB only then I am ready to have one audio interface so I no longer have to switch back and forth to do guitar and vocals. .thanks

Last edited:
Hi Tbone
I also use Cubase, and an x32 as the audio interface. I just use the axe fx ii's analog outputs into the x32. There are other potential options to 'see' more than one digital interface such as asio4all, but I find analog works every time, and sounds great.
Thanks
Pauly

I would go the analog way if I could but this Audient I4 is bear bones, it has input for the front ( D.I) and another Microphone input with XLR and 48V for mics. There are two headphone jacks and a USB input to connect to a USB Hub. I wish I could run the Axe Fx into the Audient but I do not think it is set up for that. That is why I wanted to use USB with the Axe Fx 2 XL + like I did with the Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP which ran on firewire.

Windows and most DAWs can only handle one active audio driver at a time. If you want to use both the Audient and the Axe II at the same time via USB, you'll need ASIO4ALL to combine them into a single driver.

Back
Top Bottom