Using Axe as 2-channel or Left-Centre-Right system?

Hugomack

Experienced
A previous thread talked about Wet-Dry-Wet and stereo set-ups, concluding that unless the FOH is LCR, it's best to send the engineer a mono feed to avoid problems for people off-axis.

However, for the mosh pit, the fun is hearing stage sound, so I'd like to try an LCR set up with the Centre speaker putting out the overdriven/distorted sound, and the Left and Right the modulated, delayed signal - the "Wet". By splitting the "Wet", one speaker to my side of the stage, the other beyond the drummer, the choruses should be very wide, with movement in the rotary, ping-pong echoes etc. Separating wet from dry probably makes for a crisper speaker response anyway.

I currently have a pedal system which does this (hugely heavy with lots of Lehle switches), plus allows a three-channel LCR mix to the FOH, which most sound men actually like, and mix the L & R channels panned hard each way.

I wondered if anyone's tried this with an Axe - taking the Centre channel from the Loop maybe, and left and right from the jack outs? I'm thinking two Matrix XT800's would be required...

I also wondered about FOH Left and Right outs - about the extent to which the "stereo" aspect of patches can or could be be limited to just the wet parts of delays, choruses etc, which would make it worth sending a two-channel feed to FOH without complication?

You can definitely do this, I've been meaning to try recreating something similar to EJ's setup, with FRFR cabs for L&R and a guitar cab for dry C. Just insert FXloop before your stereo FX, put them on different rows and set them to 100% wet.

Back
Top Bottom