Using AX8 with an amp

darrylportelli

Hi,
So today i tried using my ax8 with an amp - i put an amp block and then an fx block after it - from the fx send of the ax8 i went to the fx return of the amp ... the amp is a jcm800 2203 and the cab is a laney cub 2x12 with celestion rocket 50's ...... my problem was that the high end of every amp model was very shrill and fizzy ...... between the amp block and fx block iput an eq block and set a low pass filter at 8k and the problem resolved and it started to sound great ..... any idea why this high end fizz (and it was unbearably fizzy) ?? Could it be the cab as i know the celestion rocket 50s are not great speakers ?

Do you have the Power Amp modeling ON in the AX8? This more than likely is the cause. Turning it off can be done two ways - 1. In the Amp block, turn the SUPPLY SAG in the "PWR DYN" page off - zero - (counter-clockwise). 2. On the AX8, go to the SETUP>GLOBAL menu and turn the POWER AMP MODELING off.

Turning it off in the block is recommended if you're going to use the AX8 direct. There are also some amps models that sound better with the PA modeling on even when using with a guitar amp so this option makes more sense.

Turning it off in the Setup menu turns it off in every preset regardless of the Supply Sag setting.

I tried to turn off the supply sag and the tone wasnt great .... Im getting great tones with the EQ or filter at 8k in between the amp block and fx block - if I turn it off , there's a nasty fizzy top end ... It might be the cab so I might have to get my 1960A from my garage and try that out , otherwise this is the best fun Ive had with the AX8 .... I was always a tube amp fan and running the AX8 direct is great but you have to get used to the fact that the PA is outputting a MICED CAB SOUND not the sound of an amp ....... using the AX8 with the JCM800 sure kicks ass having that massive mass of air moving !!!!

Not to be argumentative but if you're miking a guitar cab and sending the signal to a PA, the PA is still outputting a mic'd cab sound.
yes, but having an amp on stage gives a certain musical feel (to the musician not the audience) that I feel would be missing if using just wedges to monitor yourself .... for the audience I just give the FOH a DI feed from the AX8 ..

Regarding the Fizziness .... I ran across this vid .... at around 6 mins , he mentions the same issue I had and he used the same technique I did - using a PEQ on the signal going to the amp .... so at least I know its not something Im doing wrong .... the cab that Im using with rocket 50's (which are themselves a bit fizzy) might have played a bit of a role as well.

yes, but having an amp on stage gives a certain musical feel (to the musician not the audience) that I feel would be missing if using just wedges to monitor yourself .... for the audience I just give the FOH a DI feed from the AX8 ..
Yes it does. I fried the QSC k12 I was using the other day and used an amp and pedals and man was that fun. I came to the forum today to find out what people are using onstage to get closer to the sound and feeling of using a real amplifier. It's not quite the same running the AX8 into a QSC.

I'm running a 4x12 cab behind me and powering it with a SD700 that sits on my pedal board next to my ax8. Easy as pie set up and sounds as powerful as my tube heads. I mic the cab. I love it... the band loves it... and my back loves it. And if I want I more monitor I simply plug in a small powered monitor into the ax8 and place it in front of me.(but never really need to) Now I control both at my feet.

I'm running a 4x12 cab behind me and powering it with a SD700 that sits on my pedal board next to my ax8. Easy as pie set up and sounds as powerful as my tube heads. I mic the cab. I love it... the band loves it... and my back loves it. And if I want I more monitor I simply plug in a small powered monitor into the ax8 and place it in front of me.(but never really need to) Now I control both at my feet.
do you find that you have to put a filter or EQ block before the output with a low pass aroud 8-10K ? if I dont put that filter on there , then the amp sound would be wayyyy too fizzy ..... putting that filter on there fixes everything

do you find that you have to put a filter or EQ block before the output with a low pass aroud 8-10K ? if I dont put that filter on there , then the amp sound would be wayyyy too fizzy ..... putting that filter on there fixes everything
I do use an eq to curve my tone a bit but I have no fizz issues. I mean every amp has a bit of sizzle. It's to be expected with haight gain models. Anyone thinking otherwise should start listening to isolated tracks IMO. But your saying wayyyy to much..... somethings going on there that shouldn't I think.

Back
Top Bottom