Using AX8 directly to tube amp problems

Josetxu

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I've got an AX8 for two years now but I've always played it directly to a monitor/PA. I have an brownface vibroverb (clone obviously, not a '63 original one) that I simply love and I've been thinking for a long time in using the AX8 with it only for effects with one of my groups but I've tried it and the AX8 sucks all the live from the sound: the volume drops a lot and there's a high end loss. I've connected it from output one to the vibroverb input, output level set to -10dBV and output level pot at 100%. I'm doing anything wrong? I obviously have no amp or cab block in the preset.

Its hit or miss with amps that dont have an fx loop. Try changing around the output\pad\gate settings... you might just have to use pedals.

I haven't had an amp that I wasn't able to use successfully just going into the front with the AX8. Unlike the FX8, there is more to setting it up for unity gain but it's definitely possible.

Maybe try to emulate the sound of your vibroverb with the available fractal models?

I was able to find my rig sound in the AX8 after about an hour of playing. My rig was a valve train Lexington reverb and about 7 pedals that I was able to very closely match the sound of.

When I pipe this through a high end monitor it sounds real. I am using both cab and amp simulation. And no heavy amp to lug around. But maybe you are looking to use the actual amp and this may not be a solution for you.

I am a new Fractalite!

I haven't had an amp that I wasn't able to use successfully just going into the front with the AX8. Unlike the FX8, there is more to setting it up for unity gain but it's definitely possible.

Great results for me, as well.

OP: First: I set the AX8 so it's unity gain with respect to the input of amp: AX8 bypassed = same input level as AX8 in. -10db and the output full up or nearly so should work. Use a Volume or EQ block in the preset for the gain matching (I make the gain adjustments with a PEQ; also rolling off the bass a tad, or adding some mid belly or otherwise EQing the guitar to the amp to compensate for the difference in it not having the impedance loading of the pickups aspect of the tone that can be significant in a vintage amp - not much on modern ones): That way I don't have to mess with it somewhere else and can load the PEQ in as a block preset to make use of effects presets set up for FRFR.

FWIW: the guitar alone through AX8 into the amp won't ever be exactly the same as guitar & cable into a vintage type amp because there won't be that sound and feel that comes from the direct impedance loading of the front end of the amp with the pickups: Of course that's also true of using hardware effects. It depends on how fussy one gets about this sort of thing. I'm probably in the middle of the pack as far as that goes. Sounds better than the pedals I used to have, otherwise, I'd still have the pedals.

Last edited:
First: I set the AX8 so it's unity gain with respect to the input of amp: AX8 bypassed = same input level as AX8 in. -10db and the output full up or nearly so should work. .
How are you doing this exacty? Bypassing the unit I mean? Also are you just doing it by ear or by some other scientific method? I'm having trouble getting the levels set optimally. I would prefer to get the AX8 to kind of power soak my amp so I can get the sound of my amp set at 5 or 6 as opposed to "1" where I have to have it or else it's deafeningly loud.

The best you can do is using the AX8 as virtual pedal board, where you're pushing the front end with a model of an OCD or Tube Screamer as you would with the hardware pedal. It isn't going to sound any better or worse at 1 than with an actual hardware pedal. The AX8 (with no models or effects) output may need to be at +4 and the volume at whatever sounds right to match the level of the guitar directly into amp - that is as a DI. IME, there are very few amps that can sound decent at 1, no matter what the input signal. Which, of course is the advantage of FRFR: cranked amp at any volume.

Since most Fenders' don't allow bypassing the preamp, there's no way to not have the distinctive character of the Fender front end: which typically is a bit thin and chippy on 1. If you want the sound of your amp set at 5 or 6, the solution is to use an an attenuator - like the Hot Plate or Jettenuator between the power amp and the speaker. Running anything into the front of the amp isn't going to address the fundamental character of the power amp/speaker interaction, or allow the preamp to be set at overdriven levels without being loud.

Back
Top Bottom