Using Atomic CLR with no cab sim

Fair enough and my bad for engaging your arguments. Can you please stop trolling my thread. If your not actually going to participate in the experiment then there's no point to your contribution.

Hi Azael,

It wouldn't do you much good because I'm still experimenting and nothing is really nailed down. Also my settings will be very different from yours due to the difference in Axe versions. the process is simple though. set up a Friedman Amp Block. Then setup a filter to cut at around 5K. Then use a graphic EQ to get a rough curve. I would follow a curve off of the Celestion website. Then insert a parametric EQ and play around.

Alas, after days of messing around I've gone back and re-shot my IR's for the Mesa. No doubt I can't replicate enough complexity with EQs and filtering. However, I can use these techniques to help the IRs I re did. They do sound pretty damn good.

Be interested to see if anyone else delved in.

So here's me back in IR land. What can I say....I'm not discouraged cause the reshoot with my AKG C414B XLS and UA preamp was successful IMO.

The three speaker types in the IR are:

C90 black shadow (Made for Mesa by Celestion)
G12H30
V30

I used Cab Lab. If anybody wants the individual IR's I'll post them.

The up side is that I'm hearing a good approximation of my Mesa cab now. Its not exact of course, but I'm better off moving forward from here.

View attachment 19248
View attachment 19249

On a side note. I've been playing around with a Bryston 3B NRB 2 channel SS power amp and damn. Its giving the Matrrix a run for its money. Beautiful sounding amp. Wow. This is an older out of production model that I've read sounds warmer and richer but less detailed than newer models. I have to say this translates very well for warming up the tone...Crazy good.

Last edited:
So here's me back in IR land. What can I say....I'm not discouraged cause the reshoot with my AKG C414B XLS and UA preamp was successful IMO.

The three speaker types in the IR are:

C90 black shadow (Made for Mesa by Celestion)
G12H30
V30

I used Cab Lab. If anybody wants the individual IR's I'll post them.

The up side is that I'm hearing a good approximation of my Mesa cab now. Its not exact of course, but I'm better off moving forward from here.

View attachment 19248
View attachment 19249

Yes please! :)

Ok Then!

View attachment 19251
View attachment 19252
View attachment 19253
View attachment 19254
View attachment 19255

They are all 3 inches, cone edge, 0 degrees

You'll see I did a 160 Hz cut on the G12H30 and the C90 cause the bass was a bit much for me with all three combined. I included both with and without anyways. I'm feeling much better about my CLR's now. I would feel comfortable in a live situation.

Man, I'm still trippin on the Bryston. The warmth just put any tube tone I was missing with the Matrix right back in the cab. I don't think I can bear to part with it. I was gonna sell it cause I felt it colored my mains a bit too much. hmmmm...wow. :encouragement:

Happy for now until I get lost in another hellish experiment:lol

I am going to test these patches out. I only have 20 minutes on matrix and was thinking about returning it.

The CLR's for home use are perfect. Adding a huge 4x12 to my office take away from a nice compact set up.

I am going to spend an hour messing around. 20 minutes isn't enlighten to make a decision.

Thanks Tex...

I'm definitely getting more tuned in with the CLR's. Its taking time. ITs been really helpful having the cab as reference.. If I didn't have that in front of me, I would not have as critical an ear.

I'm guessing you'll hear a significant difference between your cab and my IR's. If you happen to read this, Could you let me know?

Have fun!

HI Tex.

These patches will work well for you. On scene One, I'm running the main outs for the CLR's. On scene 2, I have the fx loop(Out 2) running out to my Matrix 2U GT1000FX into my Mesa 4X12.

The presets are set up perfect and ready to go. Just hook up your matrix to Out 2 and the CLR's to the xlr out 1 jacks.
Your gonna have a hard time wanting to get rid of the Matrix if you like that Bogner. I can't bear to part with my Matrix/Mesa setup or my CLR's.

One thing. Your Bogner will likely be voiced differently from my Mesa, so you'll probably need to tweak the tone. I'm using the same Friedman BE with different tweaks on x/y, so you'll be fine to mess with that.

Looking forward to hearing feedback, have fun!

Here is a pic of my current CLR settings for reference.

View attachment 19191

Thanks Stadanko,

I will try it out tonight. I only had 1 WDW Patch Kmanick sent me. It sounded OK, but to be honest, it sounded better just with the CLR's and No Bogner. But I can't base a decision off 1 patch. I'm sure his patch sounds amazing on his set up and it did sound OK, but it was DRY out to the Bogner and it wasn't the right sound I was looking for.

Honestly Tex,

I'm in one of those in betweens. I just turned on my latest patch after a day or so away and it sounds I'm anywhere near happy with it. Your ears start to really go after hours in front of those speakers. I wouldn't judge off of my preset at the moment, cause its missing low end and clarity. I thought was there buuuttttt.....its not.

Fixable, I just needed to gives my ears a good rest. I would maybe remix the IR's I posted without the filter cut versions for more bottom. Ad some presence just to let it breath a bit if it sounds way off. Tweak to your hearts content of course.

Thanks Stadanko,

I will try it out tonight. I only had 1 WDW Patch Kmanick sent me. It sounded OK, but to be honest, it sounded better just with the CLR's and No Bogner. But I can't base a decision off 1 patch. I'm sure his patch sounds amazing on his set up and it did sound OK, but it was DRY out to the Bogner and it wasn't the right sound I was looking for.
I just received my CLR last night. I am re doing a couple of patches, I'll forward them to you. (do you have the OH modern Mix pack?)
you can move the FX loop block further back if you want it all wet
plus throw a GEQ in front of the fx loop block and play around with it. Every power amp is going to have quite a different effect on the sound
(I've been through enough of them , I should know)
Don't be afraid to go crazy experimenting with GEQ's and PEQ's either, as long as you don't save it you can always start over.

I'm home now for a few hours. I loaded up the 3 patches:

Freidman BE 3 CLR.syx
Freidman BE 2 CLR.syx
Tx Star Lead Clean 2 CLR.syx

I am running Wet Dry Wet: So Output 2 on AFX to IN on Matrix, them OUT A on Matrix into Bogner 4x12 Cabinet.

None of those patches above gave me any sound out of my DRY Bogner 4x12? Was I supposed to run the output WET?

Let me know what I did wrong. The patches sound Great out of my CLR's, but there is no sound out of my 4x12 cabinet??????????????

What did I do wrong this time?:roll

Hi Tex,

It is setup as a scene 1-Out1 Scene 2-Out2 scenario. Its not setup for all at once.

On scene one, activate affects loop for at at once. Also make sure your level 2 is turned up on the front panel. Check levels of course and adjust to taste.

or to hear the Bogner by itself, switch to scene 2.

Hope this helps. I'm feeling better about my patches today. My mind is playing tricks on me I tell ya! I'm reserving all judgement at this point until I have a good long while to sort my head out.

Thank You sir, I will give it a go!

Update, I think I only went to scene 2 AND my Volume 2 might have been off, OR, the Matrix A volume. Silly Mistake, but thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited:
Hi Tex,

Actually, I've decided to sell my CLR's because I'm just more tuned into my 4X12. They are up in the for sale forum.

I was running out of attachment space, so I deleted the ones from this thread. If anybody wants them, I can email them

Last edited:
Hi Tex,

Actually, I've decided to sell my CLR's because I'm just more tuned into my 4X12. They are up in the for sale forum.

I was running out of attachment space, so I deleted the ones from this thread. If anybody wants them, I can email them

Is Beta 4 changing your mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I'm loving it with my cabs....no.

But I will say this. A substantial improvement. The bottom line for me is that your not gonna get a 4X12 sound out of the CLR. It simply does not have the volume(size) to do it.

it is a really good speaker, but you have to play to its strengths. Its good for what its designed to do. It took me awhile to get my head around that. I'm probably gonna want a 2X12 when I dive back in.

Last edited:
One last rant before this thread fades to oblivion.

Though I may not want to play the FRFR game right now, The continued advances of Cliff and Co. are encouraging to say the least. Wow!

We are blessed to have somebody that talented in a position to do as much good as he does. All the while not be a douche bag who could easily capitalize on his talent and serve only his pocket book. You don't see that often enough in this world. 12.04 is definitely another big leap forward!

I simply find it easier to work with a cab that I don't have to toil with, so I can get back to improving myself as a player and songwriter. For those who like to delve in this area. Nothing wrong with that, its just taking too much of my time. The IR's I've shared and tweaked are way past good enough to get some recording done, especially now that we have 12.04.

I have't really played all that much with 12.04B through a power amp -> my recto 2X12
seeing much change while running this way now?

depends on how deep you go with regards to the MV. I like what it did with little or no change on my part. I bumped up my MV to 4.41 on the friedman preset. I was already low at like about 2.3. Now, Cliff is telling everybody to crank it up and feel it to get his point across I'm sure.

I'm really just liking how it seems to fill in things even more than I had accomplished prior. Basically with the MV, possibilities opened up. You get to have that extra sweetness that was otherwise locked out. You can get lost quite fast imagining things and trying so hard to get it. :roll

Give your tones a good listen before you update. Then grab some MV and see what you think. I recommend not complicating things at first, so you don't lose perspective.

Back
Top Bottom