Using an Ultra/Standard in 2022

I find myself wishing I could grab another Ultra maybe as a partial trade for something.

I'vee got one for Ya. Pristine condition too for how old it is, with the latest firmware installed

The one I have is in pristine condition as well with the latest firmware on it. I am not really looking for any more gear right now though so there probably isn't anything I would be interested in trading for it.

I bought my Ultra like a year and a half ago together with Mesa Fifty/Fifty power amp. And that ‘forced’ me to get an Engl cabinet to go stereo together with my Orange cab, at least for rehearsals.
Being new to digital amps like this, it took some time for me to discover all the possible setups and so, but even in 2022, it is a great amp and I am getting way better sound than most of other guitar players I meet. Even though I am thinking about getting the FX 3 (FM9 in Europe seems to be quite far away), I might just keep this one as well.

the Standard was a killer unit back in the years - and it's still a great peice of gear after all these years. I still have a Standard in my rack, mostly used as a effect unit.....and some modeling presets. Still very much useful. Plus today, you get them very cheap.... I paid over 2000 swiss francs for it in 2008 when I bought it via G66 - today, you get them used for 500$ which is insanely cheap for what you get. Mine never let me down in all these years....

Played my Ultra last night at rehearsal ( waiting on a stable firmware update to re-create my patches on the fm9), and it was the best tone we ever had as a band. I recently re arranged the jam room, and we can hear everything much better now and it sounds GLORIOUS!
I don't regret my FM9 purchase, but the Ultra still sounds ridiculously good.IMG_20220107_215221495_HDR.jpg

Just as a price reference, I sold my Ultra on Reverb a month ago for $650. It sat for a month before that, and I was grateful to get that much.

I just had an Ultra to make some presets for a friend. Can't manage to connect it to my Roland Studio Capture though. Assuming I'll solve this, can someone remind me how to convert IRs and load them in it ?

I just had an Ultra to make some presets for a friend. Can't manage to connect it to my Roland Studio Capture though. Assuming I'll solve this, can someone remind me how to convert IRs and load them in it ?
Does the ultra version of axe edit not do that?

If you are on an OS that is 64 bit only, as the latest ones are, you are probably not going to get it to work. When I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Big Sur, Axe Edit freaked out and wouldn't work. It was just fine before I did the OS upgrade. I would expect Windows 11 to do the same thing.

There used to be a lot of issues with USB interfaces. I have an MAudio Uno. I found on Windows 10 that it was best to just plug it in and let Windows find a driver for it. That worked well. I am not sure what you are using to connect it to your PC.

Here is the one I have.
Amazon product ASIN B00GXN8KMS

Happy 2022- another year to enjoy the still-amazing first generation of Fractal technology.

I have been enjoying the 2290 delay patch the last few days, after having used the 2290 style delay in the FM3 a LOT lately. There is something magic about the phase reversed repeats.

I was also able to get very close to my favorite FM3 reverb "wide hall" so that the Ultra can stand in for my FM3. I run my tube preamp into the ultra and that into the FM3 then back out to stereo tube poweramps. The Ultra is an FM3 expander. Or is the FM3 an Ultra expander? It does let me enjoy the newer Fractal technology when that itch flares up.

Finally, I have rediscovered the (FAS) Brown model in the Ultra- they certainly got that model right. To my ears, it does a better BE than the BE model does. I've been using it as a preamp with my tube power amp with great success.

I find myself wanting an Axe-FX II again, or an Axe-FX III again, but have to frequently remind myself how much horsepower is already at my command.
Hey, here´s some cabs... At least I did not succeed in bringing them into the axe ULTRA(!), maybe you do. Let me know, IF they can be used...Best regards BX

Attachments

• ML Sound Lab's BEST IR IN THE WORLD.zip
    134 KB · Views: 8
Late to the replies, but if anyone still needs Wav files converted for their Gen1 units, drop me a line. My trusty ol’ 2012 MacBook is ready to help out.

Here's a sneak peek of what an Ultra can do in 22!
This is a pretty extreme track and called for an extreme sound to go along with it.
All guitars are my 98' Parker Fly Classic through an Axe Ultra, both direct through cab sims and a mic'd up cabinet.

I was recently struggling a bit to get the Ultra to "do it" for me as an amp modeler with a solid state amp. Pushing and pulling various settings in the amp block- remembered the global EQ and myriad of other EQ resources- quickly and easily solved the tone adjustment I was trying to do just with them amp controls (smoother top end, fatter low end)

Its easier with the Axe2/3 but you can still get there with Gen1!

Back
Top Bottom