Using an Ultra/Standard in 2022

Hi, nit sure if this is the right topic for my doubt. Sorry if not, im thinking about getting an Ultra for running a classical guitar and a dobro through it just for effects and some comoression: 1/ can i plug both at the ame time and get them separated on each output? 2/ is worth it?

thanks!

Hi, I don't know whether the question here is correct, but:
1) Yes, that is possible. Basically, the Ultra allows you to mix signals together and plug two instruments at once. The separation for the output is done easily, either you can use the Out1 for one instrument and Out2 (FX loop) for the second. If you would like to use the XLR outputs on Out1, you can use Pan blocks in the chain and pan each instrument to each side. I have done this when jamming with a friend through the Ultra - two guitars, two inputs, one on left channel, one on right channel. You can search this on youtube on generally on the google, there are guides on how to do this (and, correct me if I am wrong, the setting is pretty much the same for Axe FX II, so you can get inspired on this setup from there as well).
2) Whether it is worth... that is hard to say. There are people (I can totally relate to that as well) who say that the Ultra is the best entry-level Fractal. It is not pricy (I bought mine - middle Europe - for approximately 800 euros/790 USD), the quality of the sound is still pretty good and, at least from my point of view, the sound feels more natural than from e.g. Helix (even the LT version). If you would be going for only the effects, then the question is what kind of effects are you going for. The magic of Fractal, in my point of view, lies in endless possibilities and very fast changing of presets while not having to dance around your pedalboard. And that what for me the point where I knew I wanna go for Fractal. Hopefully it will help you somehow, if not, feel free to ask more questions!

thanks a lot! it’s been helpful. Im thinking about runing clasical and dobro throgh it to get some reverb, compression, eq delay… nothing crazy. It could be done with pedals but the ultra seems the all in one solution, even a backup for my fm3. As you said, i can get one for 500-600€ and save some money. I cant spend 3 thousand for this

Yeah, the Ultra is pretty much the perfect solution for what you have described. The only downside might be that if you want to use it as a backup for your FM3, you might have to spend some time adjusting the presets since it is not possible to convert them easily (at least from what I know).
Also, if you are using a Mac, I think the Edit for Ultra does not work with some od the newer versions of the iOS. On the Windows PC there are no issues in win10.

Yeah, the Ultra is pretty much the perfect solution for what you have described. The only downside might be that if you want to use it as a backup for your FM3, you might have to spend some time adjusting the presets since it is not possible to convert them easily (at least from what I know).
Also, if you are using a Mac, I think the Edit for Ultra does not work with some od the newer versions of the iOS. On the Windows PC there are no issues in win10.
I had an issue with the edit program on both Mac and Windows. It runs on Windows 10 but not 11. The issue is that the newer Mac OS's and Windows 11 are 64 bit only. The application is not. I have a Windows 10 laptop and it works there but the other two it will not.

recently got an axe fx standart i also had boss gt1000 which i sold before i got axe fx
i have also used axe fx ıı kemper helix stomp amplifire
i wanted to say nothing feels like fractal audio products
they are exactly same as playing the real thing
and also there is top notch quality in effects such delay reverb chorus
i never heard anything or similar fx sounds from anything like pedals or new modelers.
preamp quality still kick ass for standart
you can get any preamp sound from it there are tons of option
i mean dont need tube guitar preamp anymore you cant tell the difference
perfect solution for anybody
impulse response's are enough good but you can get better with new IR's.

Back
Top Bottom