Using an external switch?

theo

Experienced
Hi Guys, I'm planning on getting an MFC101 at some point, But after recent financial setbacks it's going to take longer to buy than I'd hoped.
I have a gig coming up soon, All I need to change between is a rhythm and a lead tone.

Would it be possible to use a switch to flip between the two states? I realise I probably can't swap between two patches, But could I have it setup to swap the axe fx between scene 1 and 2? I know this is a fairly noob question and I apologise for that in advance.

To flip between two patches is a midi PC change, to do scenes it needs a CC34 change plus a value for a scene. You have more chance if you have a basic midi controller of a PC patch change.
But you can't do either with a normal foot switch easily.

What type of foot switch or kit do you have at your disposal ?

Do you have an expression pedal ?

Last edited:
I have nothing right now. I was thinking of just building a switch myself if it were a simple matter of making or breaking connections.

Any suggestions for a quick and cheap solution? I don't want to spend too much as I definitely will be getting an MFC101 once I have saved the cash. I just need something to do the job in the meantime.

The Pedal jack at the rear of the Axe-Fx lets you use a single switch as a simple MIDI floor controller. This works fine if you have just a few presets to switch between.

- Connect a single momentary switch to the rear.
- Set it to Momentary (I/O > Pedal).
- Set PRESET INCR (I/O > Pedal) on ON.
- Set the range of presets that the switch can switch between (I/O > Pedal > Start/End).

Use a Boss FS-5U or a cheaper equivalent.

Would it be possible to use a switch to flip between the two states?
Yes, it's possible. Just plug a footswitch into the Pedal jack and turn on PRESET INCR (manual, section 9.5).

When you stomp on the switch, the preset number goes up by one, based on the values set in PRESET START and PRESET END. If START and END are two adjacent presets, the footswitch will effectively toggle between them.

Perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping to achieve! Thanks guys. Once more question, Do I want normally open or normally closed contacts on my switch?

Once more question, Do I want normally open or normally closed contacts on my switch?
From the manual:

The Manual said:
Any type of external switch can be used, as long as its contacts make and break the connection between tip and sleeve on a regular 1/4” guitar cable.

Back
Top Bottom