Using an expression pedal to control volume

zzzang

I watched Mark Day's video on how to program an expression pedal to control volume.
It worked just fine but of course doing so only controls one preset.
Can this be done globally or do I have to program each and every preset?

Thank You

There are a couple of 'Global' volume controls that can be controlled through Midi CC commands and/or the 'External Pedals'. In the 'I/O' menu, 'CTRL' tab.
  1. In 1 (manipulates the volume at the input, which changes the gain on higher gain presets as you reduce volume, similar to using the guitar volume knob - not very linear from one preset to another )
  2. Out 1 (manipulates the volume at the output, which cuts off any Reverb and/or Delay trails)
  3. Out 2 - FX Send (manipulates the volume at the output, which cuts off any Reverb and/or Delay trails)
I chose to do this on a per-preset basis. More initial work, but lets me control the volume at the optimal point (or points) in the signal chain.

Using AX8-Edit, you can 'copy' the block (and it's attached controller assignment) and 'paste' it into the other presets. Or save the block into the 'Block Library', then add that block to each preset.

There are a couple of 'Global' volume controls that can be controlled through Midi CC commands and/or the 'External Pedals'. In the 'I/O' menu, 'CTRL' tab.
  1. In 1 (manipulates the volume at the input, which changes the gain on higher gain presets as you reduce volume, similar to using the guitar volume knob - not very linear from one preset to another )
  2. Out 1 (manipulates the volume at the output, which cuts off any Reverb and/or Delay trails)
  3. Out 2 - FX Send (manipulates the volume at the output, which cuts off any Reverb and/or Delay trails)
I chose to do this on a per-preset basis. More initial work, but lets me control the volume at the optimal point (or points) in the signal chain.

Using AX8-Edit, you can 'copy' the block (and it's attached controller assignment) and 'paste' it into the other presets. Or save the block into the 'Block Library', then add that block to each preset.

Thanks Moke...........I will try that...

I make all my patches with VOL block at end of chain, with the pedal controlling output level. Toe-down is 0dB and heel-down is -12dB. This is a huge range, much more than folks use for a lead boost, but it lets me control my level to sit in the mix with a variety of sound levels, especially songs that have quiet sections where I need to be way in the background vs sections where I need to be prominent in rhythm guitar. I'm not big-time enough to have a house sound guy to rely on.

I use just a few general-purpose patches for a variety of cover songs, rather than customized and optimized into submission for a specific set list.

Same here. I chose to attach the pedal to the CAB block, which I always place after the AMP and before things like delay and reverb. That way I don't have to have an extra block in the chain.

Same here. I chose to attach the pedal to the CAB block, which I always place after the AMP and before things like delay and reverb. That way I don't have to have an extra block in the chain.
for those wanting to do this, be sure to set the MIN and MAX values in your modifier screen - specifically you probably want your Max at 0 dB, NOT the +20 that it can give.

I'm probably doing something silly but I'd appreciate any tips - my ev1 is controlling the volume fine apart from when the pedal is totally heel down it jumps back to full volume. Move it up a tiny bit and it's at zero and sweeps through to full volume at toe down. It appears to be calibrated ok, is there setting I'm missing?

I'm probably doing something silly but I'd appreciate any tips - my ev1 is controlling the volume fine apart from when the pedal is totally heel down it jumps back to full volume. Move it up a tiny bit and it's at zero and sweeps through to full volume at toe down. It appears to be calibrated ok, is there setting I'm missing?
sounds like something in the pedal is traveling too much, rather than a setting. i'd contact support.fractalaudio.com and submit a ticket.

Or if applicable, check your auto-off settings in the modifier

Back
Top Bottom