Using an expression pedal to control external midi gear

Tamuz Dekel

Hey,
I’m trying to assign an expression pedal (connected to fc12) to control an external effect via midi CC
(instead of having an additional dedicated exp pedal for that external effect).

I know the midi block can send CC data, but in a static way - where as I’m looking to use an expression pedal to send CC continuously.

on the line 6 helix it's no problem,
Does anyone know if it’s possible on the fractals?

appreciate any help,
Thank!

Tamuz

This is one of the relatively rare flaws in the axe 3 imo. The lack of midi usb support that the 2 had is another.

I should be able to plug in an expression pedal and control any of my midi gear.

I still love my 3, it’s just not quite prefect.

That'd be amazing if it was possible. I've got a few midi pedals (the Microcosm being the main one for me...) that would be great to control with an expression pedal on the axe. Also, while we're at it- it'd be super handy to have the Axe be able to send midi clock info.

A lot of people are using a little expression pedal --> MIDI converter, which then can control parameters on the Fractal or another unit. They've discussed them in multiple threads. I want to say @yek has one. You'll probably get someone chiming in eventually.

where other controllers like rjm mastermind gt series come super handy…i bet at some point this missing midi feature will be added to axe fx.

A lot of people are using a little expression pedal --> MIDI converter, which then can control parameters on the Fractal or another unit. They've discussed them in multiple threads. I want to say @yek has one. You'll probably get someone chiming in eventually.
I almost suggested the AudioFront Expression IO which works great with the FM9 or FM3 since it can be setup close to unit (and it's midi in jack) and the pedals...

It's not as great with in my opinion with the FC + Axe Fx combo because the midi in or expression pedal inputs won't be "close"...

You can put it near the Axe Fx (for midi) but then you need long TRS cable(s) for expression pedal(s) or put it near the FC and pedal(s) but then you need a long midi cable.

It does work well though and definitely solves this issue, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom