Using an analog head for purely power, using the axe fx for amp and cab sim

Srysbizness

Hey all. New owner of an Axe Fx ii xl+ but I have yet to purchase a power amp. So for now, I'm using the FX loop on my Randall V2H head. Im currently using the clean channel and using the axe as a glorified pedal board. I have yet to mess around with my own presets in Axe edit, but before I spend too much time on that I was curious if I could use my Randall head as a power amp in theory? And use the cab and head modelling in the axe fx. I have tried to do my own research in what little time I have between work but haven't had any luck. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hey all. New owner of an Axe Fx ii xl+ but I have yet to purchase a power amp. So for now, I'm using the FX loop on my Randall V2H head. Im currently using the clean channel and using the axe as a glorified pedal board. I have yet to mess around with my own presets in Axe edit, but before I spend too much time on that I was curious if I could use my Randall head as a power amp in theory? And use the cab and head modelling in the axe fx. I have tried to do my own research in what little time I have between work but haven't had any luck. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
You would want to turn off Global Power Amp modeling.

If you are using the head to feed an FRFR cabinet, then you can also use the cabs.

If you are feeding the head into a guitar cab, you would either turn off Cab modeling or else not use a Cab block.

Both things reduce the flexibility and authenticity of the modeling, but you can definitely do it.

I'm not sure
You would want to turn off Global Power Amp modeling.

If you are using the head to feed an FRFR cabinet, then you can also use the cabs.

If you are feeding the head into a guitar cab, you would either turn off Cab modeling or else not use a Cab block.

Both things reduce the flexibility and authenticity of the modeling, but you can definitely do it.

I'm not sure if I was clear in my OP. Is there a way to set up my Axe Fx with my Randall, in such a way that I'm simply using my Randall for power whilst utilizing all of the simulation capabilities of my Axe Fx?

Leave the global power amp section on or off, depending on your taste. TURN OFF cab sim. Use output 1 or 2 from the AxeFx into the effects return on your head's loop. That'll do it. If you want to get more into it and send one signal to a PA/FOH with cab sim on, but to your half stack without cab sim, use an fx loop in your chain/setting. That's how I do it. (Mesa heads to power my on stage cabs and cab sim to FOH). I just played a show with Queensryche and ran my rig that way. Of course it sounded killer...tho so did Mike & Parkers kemper rigs when they played.

I'm not sure

I'm not sure if I was clear in my OP. Is there a way to set up my Axe Fx with my Randall, in such a way that I'm simply using my Randall for power whilst utilizing all of the simulation capabilities of my Axe Fx?
I explained what you need to do... Unless you are asking about how to wire things up.

A power amp is used to power something - what are you intending that something to be?

Yes, if...

Your Randall has an effects loop so you can connect directly to its power amp; and if...

You connect your Randall's output to a full-range speaker (if you use your Randall's built-in speaker—or any other guitar speaker—then the Axe's cab modeling will sound funny, so you'll probably want to disable it).

Back
Top Bottom