Using an amp block as a drive pedal

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I was experimenting with using an amp block as a drive pedal into a real amp. In this case a clean 1959 Bassman.

The only thing in the preset so far is the input and output blocks and an amp block. Nothing else.

Scene one had the amp block on (using it as a drive pedal) into a real 59 Bassman, and scene two turned off the amp block.

I am getting a loud popping noise when holding a chord and going from having the amp block on in scene one to having it off in scene two.

It doesn’t happen going from scene two to scene one (amp block off to amp block on).

It happens every time going from scene one to scene two (amp block on to amp block off).

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do without getting that loud popping noise?
(It also pops when just going straight into my studio monitors like I usually do.)

I am using an Axe FXIII and an FC-12. Both with most current software.

Edit: It seems like this may be a bug in the firmware but, thanks to Bakerman's work around (adding a filter or vol/pan block parallel to the amp block, then mute-bypass one or the other in each scene.) I finally got it to change scenes without popping.

Last edited:
Try adding a filter or vol/pan block parallel to the amp block, then mute-bypass one or the other in each scene.

The Axe II does something similar with the synth block (and amp IIRC). Thru bypass is basically kind of goofy when block level and/or balance aren't at 0.

Try adding a filter or vol/pan block parallel to the amp block, then mute-bypass one or the other in each scene.

The Axe II does something similar with the synth block (and amp IIRC). Thru bypass is basically kind of goofy when block level and/or balance aren't at 0.

Thanks. I just tried that and it is still popping when I change scenes.

Are you sure bypass mode of both blocks was "mute"?

No they were still set to thru, but I just changed them to mute like you suggested and I got it working without the popping when changing scenes. Thanks so much!

I set my real 59 Bassman amp for my favorite jumped channel clean sound, and wanted to see if I could use an amp block in the Axe FXIII as a drive block preamp going into a clean real amp. It actually works really well, now that I got it to change scenes without popping.

Last edited:
No, but I just tried that and I am still getting the popping when changing scenes.
NEVER put amps in series. Put them in parallel and set the Bypass Mode to Mute.
I know putting amp blocks in series isn't recommended....I think others have experienced pops switching scenes due to this as well....it works and it sounds good, but is not recommended

I know putting amp blocks in series isn't recommended....I think others have experienced pops switching scenes due to this as well....it works and it sounds good, but is not recommended
That is not the setup here. Only one amp block... Going into a REAL amp.

Additionally the quote from Cliff doesn't apply when you are using the first Amp block as a drive (power amp modeling is disabled via Supply Sag at 0).

Reactions: jon
That is not the setup here. Only one amp block... Going into a REAL amp.

I was just using one amp block going into a real amp.
It doesn't seem like it should have been popping when changing scenes and just turning the amp block on and off.

It seems like this may be a bug in the firmware (I don't know) but, thanks to Bakerman's work around of (adding a filter or vol/pan block parallel to the amp block, then mute-bypass one or the other in each scene.) I finally got it to change scenes without popping.

Would the multiplexer be a workaround?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so since I was only using one amp block going into a real amp.

Using Bakerman's workaround it works fine.

At this point I am just trying to find out if there is a bug in the firmware. There was nothing in my original preset except an input block, an amp block, and an output block. It doesn't seem like it should have been popping when changing scenes and just turning the amp block on and off.

Back
Top Bottom