Using a U.S. Axe FX II in Europe

gspin

Going to do a gig in Finland with my U.S. (110v cabled) Axe Fx II. I know the unit is rated 240-110v. Would you guys recommend simply using a different cable (with the proper European plug) or using a step down transformer. I am kind of leaning toward just getting another cable, but wanted your views.

Also, can I purchase a cable of that sort from Fractal or can I buy it anywhere in the U.S. before leaving?

Many thanks in advance

gspin

they make all the units the same. european axe fx's just have the propler european cable. im doing the same thing, i bought a cable off ebay and im good to go.

You'll be able to pick up an adaptor plug socket I'm sure - US 'blade' style to European round style - any airport in the world will have them. Maybe even just bring a 4 gang extension with you and use the adaptor on it's plug into the stage power leaving you free to use up to 4 US plugs?

Bought both my ultra and AXE II from USA, used it in Europe, Hong Kong and Mainland China. Just got a proper power cable that fits depending on where I am. No issues

Going to do a gig in Finland with my U.S. (110v cabled) Axe Fx II. I know the unit is rated 240-110v. Would you guys recommend simply using a different cable (with the proper European plug) or using a step down transformer. I am kind of leaning toward just getting another cable, but wanted your views.

Also, can I purchase a cable of that sort from Fractal or can I buy it anywhere in the U.S. before leaving?

Many thanks in advance

gspin

Which power amp are you using?

Question: since I'm using a furman power conditioner should I just get an adapter for that and allow the Furman to power up my axefx, matrix, and tuner?

No. Power conditioners are usually volatage specific, so a cable adapter is not enough. You will need a step down transformer to bring the 220V down to 110V. Then you can use your US version Furman abroad. Just make sure the step down transformer can handle the current requirements of your entire rack. The little $15 wall wart jobs are not going to be big enough. A Matrix GT1000 can pull up to 10 amps by itself. 10 amps times 110 volts = 1100 watts for the power amp. The Axe II has a max power consumption of 40 watts. I'd get a step down transformer that can handle at least 1500 watts to be safe.

Last edited:
As long as the step down transformer can handle the current draw of your rack, it will function just like it would here in the US. The Furman will see about 110V or so from the transformer and operate normally, protecting your gear as it normally would.

Gotcha. I noticed some converters are fuse protected. And cheap! Why not grab one.. Going back to UK in May and looking for necessary gear to schlep..

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll be able to pick up an adaptor plug socket I'm sure - US 'blade' style to European round style - any airport in the world will have them. Maybe even just bring a 4 gang extension with you and use the adaptor on it's plug into the stage power leaving you free to use up to 4 US plugs?

Agreed…just buy an adaptor. Don't buy it at the airport, it'll likely be too expensive. Most major department stores (at your local mall) will probably sell something you can use in Finland.

Back
Top Bottom