Using a TC Elec G system for midi changes

Mike J

Hi there. I'm thinking about purchasing an FM3, but before I make the plunge I want to make sure I can use it the way I would like to. My plan is to have the FM3 in a sliding drawer in a rack (away from drunks & beer) and use my TC G system as a midi foot controller.

My query is this, the G system sends PC commands and CC commands, but the only CC commands it can send are either 0 or 127 (ie. either on or off). As I understand the manual, using CC commands to change scenes within a preset requires the CC commands to be able to send specific control numbers, therefor using CC's are out for changing scenes. Again as I understand the manual, you can also change scenes using PC commands and midi mapping. Now I get to my actual question; can the same PC numbers be used to change scenes across multiple presets? To explain, the G system has 15 usable buttons. I would like to set the bottom 5 buttons for 5 different presets and then use 8 of the upper buttons for scene changes. The intent is that I can be in preset 1 for example for a full song and use the upper 8 buttons for gapless scene changes. I might then move to preset 2 or 3 for the next song, but I would still be using the 8 upper buttons sending the same PC numbers for the scene changes. Will the 'ignore redundant PC message' function enable this scenario to work, or will using the same PC changes for scene changes across multiple presets cause issues?
I know I can purchase a new midi controller, but I don't want to as I find the G system buttons and spacing suit my clumsy feet perfectly.

My apologies for the length of this post, but I couldn't think of a simpler way to ask a fairly complex question.

So, I was going to start a new thread about the G-System, but here goes...

The G-System is actually a great candidate for the Axe/fx. it is really well built, easy to use and easy to setup..and it has a lot of switches and programmable presets..

after struggling about being frustrated with a Nektar Pacer i did the guy thing and give up. So, i pulled out my G-System and it took an hour all in... probably 30 mins for you lol.

With the G-System, you have 15 programmable switches in total that can be midi CC switches.. This is a global setting and they can be momentary "hold" or toggle on/off... For simplicity i copied the midi CC assignments for the fx blocks from the axe/fxII. Reserving buttons 1-5 for scenes 1-5 allows presets to be changed using up/down buttons, and note that a PC command does NOT transmit until you have the preset/scene combination selected... so thats a big plus.

1. You can setup the Axe/FX3 to use input midi PC commands to select both preset & scene, using a midi map. The map only covers 0-127 so that is 128 unique preset/scene combinations.
2. You can setup the G-System user bank to map to PC=0-127
3. The G-System layout is conveniently setup to give you 5 scenes per preset.
4. The switches are global, so you can set each switch (excl UP/DOWN & EDIT) to whatever CC command you want.. clearly 1-5 are left for scenes, leaving you a bunch of switches for FX blocks.
5. Each Preset/Scene combination on the G system is a preset so you can save the FX block state of each scene within the G-System to match the Axe/Fx state.
6. Suggest set "scene revert" option to ON (default is off) then as you switch scenes and presets the switch LEDs will match the Axe/FX

refering to #1, #2 above, Some housekeepin9 is likely useful, in my case i started to put user presets in from bank 4 (preset 384) and mapped user 00/1 to axe #384 scene 1 etc..so can cover 25 presets from #384...ymmmv

as the fx block switches are global settings in the G-ystem, even if you go off the reservation using axe edit, the fx switches will still operate..

I shall bask in some self satisfaction glory for a bit, but will look to add tap tempo, mebbe a simple looper, and an output back to the G system so the tuner is also on the floor.

cheers

Last edited:
So its been a few weeks in...

Using looper with CC commands follows all the rules, but is broken.. while AXE uses change of state to indicate a looper switch press, for some reason sending CCn=0 when CCn=0 causes axe issues (for the looper only).. so looper buttons via CC are not working.. though i may try using relay switches (aka "footswitches") function of the G system instead.

General daily use is very satisfactory.. I have an axe output to the G system so that the G system tuner permanently gives tuning indication without muting, or the axe can be muted using a button for the axe tuner. Given the board is at my feet this is a nice benefit.

excluding preset/scene selection, with tuner (filter), compressor, chorus(mod), phaser(pitch), delay, reverb, & drive(boost) buttons in use used I have three switches left.. so I am pretty happy with the rig.. if those dont work for the looper they can be amp channel changes and amp boost.

I suspect the G system could be a GREAT companion to the switch starved FM3.. and additionally it could be used in 4CM for post cab fx if the FM3 has cpu issues.

Back
Top Bottom